cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lense Adapter for 60D Camera

osuiloveyou
Apprentice

I recently bought a used Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L Lens and did not realize it would not fit on my canon 60D. Is there some sort of adapter that I can purchase to make this lense compatible with my camera?

23 REPLIES 23

If you are after a fast lens with great optics and shallow depth of field, the FD 85mm 1.2L is sometimes referred to as one of the best lenses ever made ........

http://www.fdreview.com/lens-review.php?itemid=74

"Used it on NEX7, As good as any Leica lens (I have one R and three M-mount in this range) but none of them have f1.2. I use the Leica 90mm f2.8 for travelling because it is super small. But this Canon is much more powerful especially when it's cloudy."

"Fantastic light gathering power.
Great bokeh
Extremely impressive looks.
This is my absolute number one FD lens."

"Unbelieveable reults. My favorite lens. I've had it for 23 years( I paid $600 in 1986; well worth the money). The best for portraits but can be used as an all around lens for sharp pictures & excellent IQ. Just have to be careful with focus(shallow depth of field)."

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/fd/85mm-f12.htm

"This Canon 85mm f/1.2 L Aspherical Floating-Element lens is the most advanced 85mm manual-focus lens ever sold anywhere.   It's way beyond anything ever from Nikon or LEICA. It's got more technology in it than anywhere else, and more importantly, has out-of-this world performance. This is why it's so sought-after by astronomers; it's super-sharp even wide-open at f/1.2.   It also has very little distortion.  This was one of Canon's top flagship lenses before the entire FD line was trashed in 1987 in favor or the EOS autofocus system."

https://www.flickr.com/groups/canonfd/discuss/72157635207483152/

"This lens has been described as one of the best portrait lenses ever made by any manufacturer. Big and heavy, always expensive." 

"The canon FD 85/1.2L is one of the finest lenses ever made and is still the same optical arrangement in the EF 85/1.2L  similar to the zeiss 50/1.4 for contax which is still in production in the ze other editions"

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

If you are after a fast lens with great optics and shallow depth of field, the FD 85mm 1.2L is sometimes referred to as one of the best lenses ever made ........

[Quotations of effusive praise omitted]

It's like having one of the best saddles ever made, if you don't own a horse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, the OP owns both a saddle and horse. 

His problem is the saddle doesn't fit his particular horse without an expensive modification. He just needs to add another horse to his stable. There are inexpensive adapters that would make his great saddle fit many other horses. (just not the one he currently owns)  Smiley Wink

Canon FD lenses can be used with most other interchangeable lens Digital cameras with a very inexpensive adapter that has absolutely no effect on image quality. 

There are all kinds of adapters for FD lenses to be used on Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Mirco 4/3, and even Canon EOS M. It is just Canon DSLR's that can't easily use FD lenses.  

Mike Sowsun

"No, the OP owns both a saddle and horse."

Yes he does but he has a show horse saddle and a draft horse.  It is possibile to get that saddle on the horse but what do you have when you do?  A lot of issues that were not originally there when using a FD lens on a FD body are now front center.

Mike neither Bob from Boston nor I am debating the quality of the supberb 85mm lens.  I have one.  It and most of the rest of the FD lens' line is why I went Canon for my personal photography equipment while the company I worked for was all Nikon.

Matter of fact another photographer there also bought Canon fo his personal equipment.

No adapter made can be used that does not degrade the quality except the Ed Mika.  Which I have used to convert several FD's to EF.  Mostly my white ones.  I beleive Ed makes a specific adapter just for the FD 85mm and it would be the one to get.

Now consider the Sigma 85mm for almost the same price as the FD 85mm and a Ed Mika will work great. Add to the fact it will likely best the old FD to boot and will do so with all current AF and AE fully functional.

My advise remains don't do it but if you do go see Ed Mika. Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There are lots of very fine digital cameras that can easily use FD lenses with inexpensive adapters that do not degrade image quality.  

What is wrong with this combo?

Sony.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Mike nothing is "wrong" if that is your cup of tea.  But neither he nor I have a Sony camera! (I wouldn't have one but that is another story.)

And you are only fooling yourself if you think adapters don't degrade the lens.  It simply is not possibile to 'add' to a lens and maintain the exact same specs as it had without the adapter.  Even the best, Ed Mika, changes the lens some tiny amount.

It is this tiny amount of quality you are so diligently trying to keep and brag about.  The Siggy is there and has none of the issues.  Plus it is nearly the same price.

You can not believe how hard it was for me to finally give up on this adapter route for the FD lenses I have and love.

I have about two dozen of them still.  I still have my F1n and A1.  I still use them but as they were originally intended.

EB

"And you are only fooling yourself if you think adapters don't degrade the lens.  It simply is not possibile to 'add' to a lens and maintain the exact same specs as it had without the adapter".

Nothing is being added. There is no addition lens. These adapters are glass-less and do not effect image quality in any way. 

If I had a bunch of quality FD lenses, I would pick up an EOS M camera and an inexpensive adapter so I could use them all. 

_400a.jpg

I only had 1 FD lens and I went the EdMika route.....

_IMG_6287_400.jpg

Mike Sowsun

"These adapters are glass-less and do not effect image quality in any way. "

Yes they do but I give up.  You win!

Anybody that would recommend getting a EOS M camera so they could use old FD lenses is...........Smiley Frustrated..............well at least well beyond me.  Have at it and more power to you. Smiley Happy

EB

"These adapters are glass-less and do not effect image quality in any way. "

ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes they do but I give up.  You win!

Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult or disrespectful. I just don't understand how a glass-less adapter or mount change affects the image quality of the lens. Could you please explain?  I must be missing something. 

Mike Sowsun

"Sorry, I don't mean to be difficult or disrespectful. I just don't understand how a glass-less adapter or mount change affects the image quality of the lens. Could you please explain?  I must be missing something."

Oh, Mike, no disrespect taken.  I didn't mean that.  We just have a differing of opinions on this topic.  And I must confess I have never tried to use an FD lens on a mirror-less camera.  For one thing I don't have a mirror-less camera.  They are so poor in the first place I suppose one would never see any degradation. So I concede that may be a viable solution.

Since I have such a larger inventory of FD lenses, I believe I have hit on every possible way to convert one to EF. In all the time and money I have spent, I have concluded the Ed Mika to be the only one that is even close to being successful. It is glass-less and it is expensive. It does work fairly well on the big whites and it works very well on the FD 500mm f8 reflex lens.

Right off any adapter with glass in it isn't even in the game. They are horrid. All of them. Smiley Sad

Now for the glass-less versions:

Loss of infinity focus is a big problem

Centering of the lens with the camera. Another big problem that is really a deal breaker.

And lastly is tilt or not being parallel.

On the not so good but livable is loss of all AF and AE. Add to the fact most DSLR's don't have great manual focus ability and there you are.

You know enough about cameras to know any one of the above factors is a real problem. If the lens is tilted you can tilt the camera to compensate but if it is no longer centered you may not be able to stop it down much or vice versa. The best of the glass-less adapters, Ed Mika in my opinion, has a very tightly controlled tolerance. But even it may require (it does on most FD lenses) you to take the lens apart and make adjustments to get infinity focus.

And lastly, I am also in a disagreement with the assessment of the IQ of the FD 85mm lens. And in fact with all the FD's for that matter. They were great in their day but they are from the past and they need to stay in the past. Sometimes the lofty claims are from fond memories and not from actual lab tests.

Tell me you didn't really suggest one get a EOS-M did you?  Smiley Surprised

EB
Announcements