cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens firmware update 400mm DO lens on 5D Mk4

geofflw
Apprentice

Am reasonably familiar with updating firmware on both bodies and lenses but this issue is puzzling me.

When I try to update the firmware for my 400mm DO lens the rear screen on the camera goes blank and the top indicator flashes error 70. Removing and reinserting the battery is required to get the camera functioning again. I have tried 3 different sd cards, and the camera works fine the rest of the time. The problem only occurs when trying to do the firmware update.  

6 REPLIES 6

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Which EF 400mm DO do you have? Version I or version II? What firmware is currently on the lens and what firmware do you want to install? 

Mike Sowsun

I have version II, and am looking to go from 1.0.8 to 1.0.9. I m not having any issues with the lens, but every year or so I try to remember to keep my lenses current.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

That does seem very odd. I would try using a different camera.

Mike Sowsun

geofflw
Apprentice

Yes, I would have tried the CF slot in the 5D MK4 except it was damaged a long time ago by a bad CF card, (or a clumsy operator). I have an old 5D MK2 and will try to use that, just waiting for a new CF card.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 5DMk II is too old. The lens firmware upgrade menu option first appeared in cameras staring in 2012. The 1D X, 5D Mark III, and 650D/T4i were the first cameras to have this option.

Mike Sowsun

geofflw
Apprentice

Thanks for letting me know in advance. Looks like I am out of options, except perhaps to get my local camera store to try for me. Or I could get my MK4 CF slot repaired by Canon - not a guaranteed solution but maybe a good idea anyway. 

Announcements