cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the EF lens series done?

fujoncama
Apprentice

All the rumors say Canon's going all in on their RF mount, releasing up to 16(!) RF lenses in 2021. I couldn't find a single rumored new EF lens.

I get that the EF mount has been around forever but it would be disappointing to see it go out with a whimper leaving a ton of EF users in the dust, especially since Canon was still releasing new EF camera bodies relatively recently. It's especially disappointing seeing the lack of nano USM upgrades to the EF line.

I guess I'm just salty because I'm a new photographer and got started with the EF-S mount last Christmas before I knew anything. All I really want is a 17-55mm f2.8 nano USM or even STM since I do a lot of home video. Oh well, thanks for reading my rant.

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I understand you frustration but, to be honest, and with all due respect, this is a perfect example of the necessity of doing your research  before making a purchase.  Had you come to this site before purchasing and outlined what you need, you would have got good advice from the large number of knowledgeable people here.  We would almost certainly have recommended getting an R-series body, especially for the benefits they offer for videography, but it is what it is...

Canon have made it clear for some time that they are not producing any new EF, EF-S and EF-M lenses, and have been steadily withdrawing those types from their lens lineup.  This has  been well documented so they have not, as you put it, 'left a ton of EF users in the dust'.  I am not sure where you got the idea that Canon has released new camera bodies recently.  The last one, the T8i, was released over three years ago, which in this business is not recently.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

John_SD
Whiz

Tronhard has it right regarding the DSLRs. This is essentially dead tech. Mirrorless is where you want to be. But you are not left totally in the dust. Just get a Canon adapter so your EF lenses can be used on R bodies. The adapters work well from all that I have read from users. But do your research. If you intend to transition to Canon mirrorless, be prepared for eye-watering RF lens prices, And to date, there are no SIgma or Tamron lenses available for the system, as Canon has thus far not permitted these third parties to manufacture RF-mount lenses. There have been rumors that this will change, but currently there are no Sigma or Tamron lenses available for the RF mount. That is not the situation with Nikon or Sony. If I were making a move to mirrorless today, I would not be choosing Canon. YMMV.

Well... to be fair, Nikon have apparently released a statement that they will permit third party lenses only on a case-by-case basis, and Canon have finally said much the same thing.   So far there is one 3rd party fully featured lens available, with several other used manually.  Canon Rumors reported a rumor that Sigma is planning the release of two RF lenses, but this is unconfirmed and it's early days yet.
I have seen Canon take a lot of flak for not authorizing 3rd party lenses and have Sony's array of 3rd party lenses thrown up.  So, I went to DPReview and logged every 3rd party lens for Sony since they went to the MILC platform in 2010, and here it is:

Canon 3rd party lenses.jpg

To me, it is clear that it took some years for significant 3rd party lenses to come to market, and momentum began after 5 years, with a deluge starting a full 8 years after the lens mount was established.  Given Sony was not dealing with a pandemic, production and distribution disruptions,  I don't think there is that much difference in the pipeline and I can see why it has taken both Canon and Nikon a while to get to market.
They all make huge investments to create the new technologies, and bring them to market, and while I look forward to some of my favourite 3rd party lenses getting ported to the RF mount, I can happily use them with the adapter until that happens.
Still, this is digressing from the original theme, but bears some consideration before we single out Canon as the big meanie in this.   The issue here is anticipating and expecting that new lenses for an obsolete platform will be released when the market is clearly moving on.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is the EF lens series done?"

The last EF/EF-S lens has already been made. I doubt that it is Canon not allowing off brand RF lenses. They are just not helping with specs and the technology.

"I get that the EF mount has been around forever ..."

The EF/EF-S mount has not been around forever! There once was the Canon screw mount, the R mount, the FL and the FD mount before EF/EF-S.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

DSLRs and EF glass are still viable and can take beautiful photos.  I won't hesitate saying mirrorless is superior, but you can take breath taking photos with a DSLR.

As far as recommending Nikon or Sony.  No, I can't do that.  I watched a Z8 video last night.  It was like 15 min of 8k and the poster was like wow.  I'm thinking wow what?  We've had 8k the last 3 yrs.  I think he was marveling its codec.  OK.    

Sony - G Master flash in the pan.  Performance aside, they are doing better than Nikon, but they make the ugliest cameras on earth.  You can cut your hand open on their sharp edges.  Sony does have lenses, but there is no way I'd ever go there.

Sony jumped on the mirrorless bandwagon first, then Canon, then Nikon, but it didn't take Canon long to catch up, and to then take the first place crown, now years running.  I won't tell someone not to buy Sony or Nikon, but I would discourage it. No camera is perfect, so evaluate what is going to best meet your needs.  

I think the rumors are true. 3rd party lenses are coming.  Yes its still a someday at this point, but it will happen.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"As far as recommending Nikon or Sony.  No, I can't do that"

Not a problem. Pros worldwide have done it for you. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Pros worldwide have done it for you."

Rick has it correct. The Canon brand is the current leader in camera sales worldwide.  In a recent survey of 1000 pro photographers the R3 was chosen best camera. And this is before an R1 comes on scene!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements