cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is image stabilization necessary?

BK5524
Contributor

I’m looking at the 24-70 and 28-70 RF L lenses. The 28-70 f2 does not have image stabilization. Is it really necessary? I’m sure there are places where it might and might not be, but I would appreciate help deciding. I’m glad to answer any questions that would help you give me helpful info. I like to shoot nature, but I’ve also taken up doing photos of different events at our kids school. Many of those involve lower lighting (performing arts stage and football stadium at night), but not a lot of fast motion shots. I don’t do sports. Thanks!

Brian
EOS R7. EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM
22 REPLIES 22

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is totally up to you.  How steady is your hand.  I love lens IS.  You can be tired, fatigued shooting indoors in low light and dial your shutter speed down to something you think in your mind no way and you get a beautiful shot.  

A full stop of light can make a difference.  I prefer the 24-70 over the 28-70 because the heft of the 28 is 95mm.  Its a fat heavy lens, and a full pound + heavier that the 24-70 which has a 82mm girth.  I hand hold my 70-200 and 100-500 too, but both have IS.  

I think you might want to look at the RF 70-200 f2.8 for low light performing arts, and sports related activities. If you aren't close to the stage, 70 isn't going to be enough, nor will it get you close enough to action on the field unless its right in front of you.  You can also rent and compare side by side.  Then pick the one you like best.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the input. I have a 70-200 but it’s EF mount. I love it and it works quite well. I’ve just gotten back into photography though and I’ve got so much to figure out and learn. I have a Rebel DSLR and upgraded last year. My son is playing around with the old camera but he’s not really into it much. I’m sure I’m missing some functionality using the EF instead of the RF but I didn’t have the money to dump on it yet and at the time, I really wanted to be sure I was REALLY interested in sticking with it. The shorter lens is to fill the gaps when I’m interacting with the kids up close. 70 is too tight for closer group shots and stuff. I was looking at the f2 for more light. But the cameras seem to be so good that pushing the ISO real high doesn’t seem to be a big deal. I do wonder sometimes if I should have gone ahead with a full frame instead of the R7, but I really do like it. If the RF lens is indeed better than the EF, I guess I’ll be saving up for that next. 

Brian

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you have the choice between an EF and RF lens, and can afford it, I would always suggest the RF lens, both for stabilization, overall optical performance and, one day, if you sell it, what will the market be like for a legacy EF lens?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Excellent advice from my esteemed colleagues, Trevor and Rick. But, please note that the R7 has "In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS)", so you won't be totally without IS. You will have to enable it when using a non-IS lens, start at page 290 in the users manual for options.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Hi Newton, nice to catch up!
Yep, I was wondering if the OP has a camera body with IBIS as I cannot see a model mentioned. 
At this time, the only bodies with IBIS are R3, R5 (not R5c), R6, R6II, (corrected omission: R7) and R8.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

At this time, the only bodies with IBIS are R3, R5 (not R5c), R6, R6II, R8.

The Canon sales page specs for the R7 say "In-body IS operation can be selected when using a non-IS lens." It's also in the manual, with several options 🙂

I don't have the R7, although I just about bought it for the crop sensor, but after trying one and reading deeper, I passed. I was hoping for an R version of the 7D mark II.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Apologies Newton, I thought I had included the R7.  It DOES have IBIS, so I will correct my list.  Thank you for picking that up.

cheers, TREVOR

Me too Newton, I have written at some length about it's shortcomings in that respect... 😔
There is some suggestion of an R7II coming out later this year.  It would need a major upgrade in image sensor (to BSI/stacked), buffer, one card  Express CF and significantly upgraded focusing, plus a battery grip and more weather sealing (I realize that's a long list).

cheers, TREVOR

I had no idea! Yeah…that owners manual…holy cow it’s long. 

Brian
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements