Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect focusing Canon 5D mrk iv & 70‑200mm f/2.8l is iii usm combination

JSPhotography
Contributor

Dear All,

I hope everyone is keeping well?

I am wondering if someone can solve this frustrating issue for me...?

I have a Canon 5D mrk iv with these 3 lenses :-

ef 24-105mm f/4l is ii usm 

ef 16-35mm f/2.8l is iii usm

ef 70-200mm f/2.8 is iii usm

My issue is, when I attach and start using the 200mm, even with auto focus and image stabilization on, the focal point of the image isn't perfectly clear once I put on my laptop, even at 70mm range. I previously used this lens with my Canon 5D mrk iii, and have no issue with the focusing.

Strange thing is, both the other 2 lenses with the mrk iv, there is no issue, the images are very sharp on the big screen. Its just the mrk iv & 70-200mm combination I am having trouble with.

Can someone please help??

Many thanks in advance.

James

11 REPLIES 11

@JSPhotography wrote:

Hi Rodger,

I had a chance to go out and shoot today with the adjusted lens callobration. Unfortunately its still terribly out of focus, i am a track and field photographer so i photograph fast moving objects, I had the shutterspeed at 800 but still blurry. I attached onto my 5D mrkiii and was perfectly sharp!

I am really lost with this, all my other lenses i tried with both cameras are fine, and the 200mm on the mrkiii is fine, its just the mrkiv with the 200mm is the issue...

James

First and foremost, I would reset and clear out the focus adjustments.  I think entering AFMA settings should be a last resort, not a first option.  Besides, it is all too easy to enter a bad set of adjustments.  It takes a little practice to get it right.

Can you post a sample image that demonstrates the issue?  It would be helpful to know the exposure settings, as well as the camera settings like AF mode, drive mode, active AF point(s), as well as the focal length.  Basically, the EXIF data.

BTW, I shoot track and field, too.  It is a pretty easy sport to shoot.

6AABC922-C781-49B8-918E-4DA880216530.jpeg

I had been hoping to see this young lady at the Tokyo Summer Games this year.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It sounds like you need to adjust the focus calibration for this lens to your camera."

Hold on there cowboy! Micro focus adjustment isn't the first thing to think about. In fact the better the camera and lens the less it seems to be needed. Of course some lenses do but not many.

"... the focal point of the image isn't perfectly clear once I put on my laptop,..."

What exactly does this mean?  WHen you look at a photo is the area just in front of the target in precise focus, or directly behind it?  If the answer to that question is, yes, than AFMA, might help. Otherwise it will not.  AFMA never makes any lens sharper or better in focus.  It can not. A lens is as sharp when it is made as it will ever be. AFMA simply moves that precise focus point forward or backward.

Now if large areas or all the photo seems soft, it is not a AFMA issue. It could just be a DOF issue and that is normal. It could be camera motion, etc, several other things. AFMA is not the first thing to try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements