cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS not working with Sigma lens on EOS 250D

georgemel95
Apprentice

Good Day to all!

I recently acquired a used Sigma 17-50mm lens for my EOS 250D setup, which includes the kit lens, Canon 50mm, and Canon EF-S 18-135mm. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the image quality and performance of the lens. However, I've encountered a peculiar issue with the digital Image Stabilization function.

Whenever I try to activate the digital Image Stabilization from the camera menu, I notice that the IS icon appears on the screen, but it blinks with a "No symbol" on top. Despite trying to toggle the Optical Stabilization (OS) feature on and off from the lens itself, the problem persists.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the Sigma 18-50mm lens or any other lens on the EOS 250D? If so, I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice on how to resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Third party lenses are not always 100% compatible with all camera features, particularly when it coms to video.  

This lens is an older design, at least 15 years old.  It pre-dates Canon’s release of Dual Pixel AF image sensor and advanced video features in their DSLRs

It sounds like the camera is not accepting or allowing you to use digital video IS and the optical image stabilization in the lens at the same time with the thrid party lens.  The two systems do not know how to hold hands and work together.

No big loss, IMHO.  I have found the older implementations of Sigma OS to be a little unstable, anyway.  I would leave it turned off at all times.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I see two major issues here with your Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN Contemporary lens..  

One, the lens does not have optical stabilization.  

Two, the lens is not offered for the Canon EF mount.  

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Acctually I was refering to a 17-50mm. My bad.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-17-50mm-f-2.8-EX-DC-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

this is the lens.

Third party lenses are not always 100% compatible with all camera features, particularly when it coms to video.  

This lens is an older design, at least 15 years old.  It pre-dates Canon’s release of Dual Pixel AF image sensor and advanced video features in their DSLRs

It sounds like the camera is not accepting or allowing you to use digital video IS and the optical image stabilization in the lens at the same time with the thrid party lens.  The two systems do not know how to hold hands and work together.

No big loss, IMHO.  I have found the older implementations of Sigma OS to be a little unstable, anyway.  I would leave it turned off at all times.

Thank you once again!
Yes, that seems to be the case.
So apparently it is not possible to turn off some fetures in order for the IS to work, right?

Announcements