cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you dumped your entire EF setup on favor of RF?

claus1
Apprentice

Wondering what core advantages would there be for owners with extensive EF lens collections to upgrade all to RF? I am still in love with the various lenses I own (lucky to finally score a killer deal on a 100mm macro lens yesterday) and my fried asked me why I was investing in EF lenses still if RF bodies are the future. My response was EF lenses are still very relevant across the entire EOS lineup and is the MOST compatible lens across all EOS systems. The used EF lens prices are very good and while RF rocks better tech that I am not sure if newer RF designs are any sharper or faster but cost a hella lot more. Am I wrong in my understanding?

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Moving to all RF lenses would be a good long term strategy.   But I would say do so incrementally.

It will also really depend upon if one earns income from photography/videography/cinematography and how close they are to retirement.

Here is what I'm personally doing as a hobbyist...

Soon after the RF mount was introduced, I made the decision to no longer pick up any EF lenses (or equipment with EF mounts with one exception).  I only had two lenses: EF 50mm f/1.2 L and EF 135mm f/2 L.   I was planning on picking up a Macro lens, but held off.

When adding a cinema camera, I went for the EOS C70 (RF mount) and picked up the RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L at that time.  I did though get the 0.71x EF to RF adapter so as to use my EF lenses on it (this was the exception).

When I move to mirrorless either in 2024 or 2025, I will immediately pick up both the RF 50mm f/1.2 L and RF 135mm f/1.8 L.   Then later add the RF 100mm f/2.8 Macro.  I may still use the EF 50mm with the EOS C70, but just for experimental stuff in extreme low light.

So in my case with only two EF lenses to replace, moving to RF at the same time would make sense.  But if I had more than two, I would do so incrementally.  And prioritize based upon frequency of using each lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Couple things to add regarding your last question: I know at least the RF 50mm f/1.2 produces sharper results than the EF version.   And in some cases RF lenses, have wider apertures than their EF versions.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

It's best that when a camera comes out with a new Mount. Buy the native lenses if available. I would also discontinue buying anymore EF lenses. Even though I still own 2 DSLR cameras I have stopped purchasing new lenses. When I bought my current 5D Mark IV in early 2020. There wasn't a great as push to mirrorless yet. When I do upgrade my gear to a new camera. Probably a year or 2 after the R5 Mark II comes out. I'm not a professional just a hobbyist. I'll start out with the RF 24-70mm F/2.8L IS USM & RF 50mm F/1.8 USM which would be exact replacements to my current EF Mount counterparts. Or I could look into the F/1.2L version. My most used lenses would be replaced first vs my less frequently used lenses. I would adapt other lenses such as the EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USMEF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USMEF 85mm F/1.8 USM lenses. I'll slowly start replacing them with RF Mount equivalent lenses. Unless there isn't an exact replacement. For instance there isn't an RF 85mm F/1.8 lens instead there is an RF 85mm F/2 Macro STM lens. So I would look into the F/1.2L or F/2 version. My friend's parents who do photography professionally (wedding and sports) have donated or sold off older EF Mount gear. But they had 2 or 3 copies of lenses and bodies. They're mainly RF Mount lens and camera body users now. My friend's mom is 100% RF gear now for wedding photography. But her dad is using some older adapted EF glass. Since equivalent RF glass doesn't exist yet for his needs. Such as the EF 300mm F/2.8L USM (non-IS) lens & EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM lens. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

John_SD
Whiz

You seem quite attached to your EF lenses. They've likely served you well over the years. So if you are considering a move into mirrorless, you don't have to abandon them en masse. Just buy an EF to RF adapter and use them on your mirrorless rig. They adapt wonderfully by most accounts. But just realize that the longer you hang on to the old lenses and DSLRs, the less you will get for them when you try to sell them. Whatever you do, don't spend any more money on outdated tech. This isn't 2014 and Canon and its customers, both pro and enthusiast, are moving on. It's a mirrorless world now. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I retired my EF glass last year.  I purchased my first RF lens 2 weeks after moving to a mirrorless body.  I was so impressed, I purchased 3 more lenses almost immediately.  The trinity + RF 100-400mm.  Last lenses to join were the RF 100-500mm and RF 100mm.  I had always wanted the EF version, and finally got around to buying it. 

Why I switched.  Canon designs shooting systems.  Canon has made significant optimization and performance improvements with RF lenses when coupled with mirrorless cameras.  Its true, your EF lenses can perform better when adapted to a MILC camera.  The sensor technologies are vastly different and except for a 1Dx series, a MILC body is superior to DSLR.  I would not recommend investing in DSLRs any longer, unless you are a professional doing so to expand your existing line up or replace a failed body.  If you are entering photography or are replacing your 5-10 yr old, trusted camera, a mirrorless body is the way to go.  You can adapt your EF lenses until such time you can afford or are ready to replace them.  I own 1 body.  I do plan to add a second which I will dedicate for super-telephoto zoom.  A recent vacation showed me the benefits of this.  It of course will be mirrorless.

We have many users on the forum who have several DSLRs and enjoy shooting with all of them.  Some have MILC body's too.  I wanted a more singular solution.  I have all the gear I need without having to maintain different standards.  No adapters, etc.  I have sold the majority of my old gear (recently).  There is no benefit hanging on to it.  I've been watching used pricing closely.  Prices dropped significantly in the last 60-90 days.  Great for buyers, not so good for sellers.  I have 2 lenses left.  

Lens wise, we all have our favorites.  The ones that have captured the best memories and are razor sharp or earned those who shoot professionally a great living.  For me, Canon represents unrivaled performance.  I don't miss any of my EF lenses.  Canon will likely release a mkII of the RF 70-200mm as an internal zoom.  I like the compactness of the external zoom.  I don't need it to work with a TC.  I suspect there will also be a mkII of the RF 100-500mm, one that allows you to use a TC with the full focal length.  The RF 200-500 with built in TC (not announced yet) is still just a rumor.  There is nothing I cannot capture or film with RF.  No regrets post upgrade.  There are going to be options for all.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I had quite an extensive menagerie of EF and EF-S gear, and I decided to downsize significantly: not so much for technical reasons, as I age. Even so, there are some bodies and lenses I decided to keep and shoot with, because I like the experience of using them, and as far as I am concerned, they still shoot as well as they ever did.  The M market is apparently ending, and the writing is on the wall for the DSLR market as well; but for me, that does not mean that I have to dump everything.   But I am retired now so don't have the longevity of activity that someone younger will have to consider.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I purchased the R6mII.  I have one RF-mount body and still I have four EF-mount bodies.  I have not sold off any of my EF glass, of course.  I do have on RF-mount lens, RF 50mm h/1.8 STM, mainly for troubleshooting purposes.  I have at least one RF-mount lens to use.

All of the stories about EF glass on RF bodies outperforming DSLRs are true.  The R6mII has an amazing focusing system.  The images I capture with the RF 50mm are tack sharp amazing.  I can hardly imagine what RF mount L glass could do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm still learning the T7 and the EF lenses. So much to learn and so little time.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

All of my EF and EF-S lenses work better on my EOS R5 than on my EOS 80D. I have not purchased any RF lenses because what I hav works. I did purchase a refurbished EF 17-40mm f/4L USM from Canon for use on my EOS R5 when is was priced at $299 because no RF lens was available at that price with that focal length.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
Announcements