cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you dumped your entire EF setup on favor of RF?

claus1
Apprentice

Wondering what core advantages would there be for owners with extensive EF lens collections to upgrade all to RF? I am still in love with the various lenses I own (lucky to finally score a killer deal on a 100mm macro lens yesterday) and my fried asked me why I was investing in EF lenses still if RF bodies are the future. My response was EF lenses are still very relevant across the entire EOS lineup and is the MOST compatible lens across all EOS systems. The used EF lens prices are very good and while RF rocks better tech that I am not sure if newer RF designs are any sharper or faster but cost a hella lot more. Am I wrong in my understanding?

10 REPLIES 10

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I haven't dumped EF and DSLR's but I have trimmed down to 4 that I still use, and have all of the EF lenses that I've collected over the years, which are quite a few, from consumer to the L series. I have 3 R series cameras, the R5, R6, and R6 mark II and don't use EF glass on any of them. I started using RF right away. I won't rehash what others have said, but will add that the 20mm flange distance allows for better sharpness and IQ, like on my RF 15-35mm f/2.8L the image is sharp across the sensor at 15mm and the same for my RF 50mm f/1.2 L and RF 100mm f/2.8L macro. My other L lenses are sharp, but there is some barely perceivable falloff in the corners. Since these are tele, I'm generally cropping so it's of no concern. I'll also mention that RF lenses have 12 contacts opposed to the 8 of EF and this allows for much faster communication for AF and IS/IBIS coordination. In general, RF out performs EF. It's true EF adapted works fine but when you have the chance to compare to RF counterparts, you can see the difference in response. Yes, the cameras play a big part in that, but the new tech in the lens has to keep up, and does. BTW, this is my 3rd mount change... FD, EF, and RF. As for prices, compared to what the other lenses for previous mounts, the prices are comparable when they were released to RF, accounting for U.S. dollar value at the time. Heck, IIRC I paid near $800 for a FujiFilm FinePix E900 PnS in 2005 or it could have been the Sony ShureShot. My wife was still shooting 35mm film at the time. I wish I could remember what I paid for the Rebel XSi shortly thereafter 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements