cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the 70-200 f/4 L non-IS tripod mount?

AllNoAll
Contributor

I just ordered the below Tripod Mounting Ring for my 70-200 f/4 L Non-IS lens. What do you think of this mounting ring? Anyone have experience with both this ring and the one Canon makes? What is the difference? For one third the price I couldn't pass it up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822976-REG/Vello_TC_AW_Tripod_Collar_A_Black.html

7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz
I haven never had the Canon one so I don't know how it is compared. But the Vello one is pretty good. It feel solid, and stable. I bought mine a while back so the color is a little bit darker than the lens but it's not really not that different.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Vello makes good stuff.  It will work well for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I notice that the screw in knob looks different in operation from the Canon version. The Canon version has a 1/4 turn quick release. The Vello version looks like it must be backed all the way out to release the lens. Please report back to us when you get the tripod mount. 

Also.... One of the main complaints of 3rd party mounts is that they can scratch the surface of the lens when you rotate the lens from landscape to portrait. How is this one? 

Mike Sowsun

Ordered it from B and H. I'll post back when I get it and put it through it's paces.

It doesn't scratch mine Mike.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Good to know, thanks. 

Mike Sowsun

So I got it and I really like it. Solidly built and the color matches almost exactly. It has a felt liner inside so I don't expect scratches on the lens, but only time will tell. It is true that you have to back the securing knob all the way out to release the lens, but that's a small price to pay for the $100 savings over the Canon version.

Announcements