cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter wrench

OldSlowHans
Enthusiast

What filter wrench/spanner is good for use with rotating filters like circular polarizers?  The cheap plastic "clamp ring" style are junk.

"Just an old boy, and his camera"
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

🙂 i have never had any problem with non-rotating filter, only with slim frame CPL, but rubber band works wonder for me. Sorry I don't know any good wrench product. 🙂 Good luck on your hunt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use a technique of rolling the filter in a spiral type motion AS I attempt to free it from being stuck and it works fairly well for me.  

I have a filter (which also happens to be a CPL) that likes to jam and I just try to careful not to fully thread it on... just enough turns to ensure it can't possibly fall off.

Sorry I can't offer advice on filter wrenches... everything I see these days is plastic.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Desmond photographic Distributors makes metal filter wrenches: [MOD NOTE: Link Removed Per FORUM GUIDELINES]

I rarely have trouble with my CPL filters and when I do get a stubborn filter, my plastic wrenches always worked for me. 

Review here:  A Useful Aluminium Filter Wrench from Desmond

Desmond-Filter-Wrench-003-MOTION.gif

Mike Sowsun

7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz

is this for removing stuck filter? I just use rubber band, it's easy, effective and free. 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, a stuck filter.

Rubber band works great for most "stationary" filters, but the rotating style (like a Tiffen circular polarizer) have only a narrow knurled area which is almost impossible to grip.

🙂 i have never had any problem with non-rotating filter, only with slim frame CPL, but rubber band works wonder for me. Sorry I don't know any good wrench product. 🙂 Good luck on your hunt.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use a technique of rolling the filter in a spiral type motion AS I attempt to free it from being stuck and it works fairly well for me.  

I have a filter (which also happens to be a CPL) that likes to jam and I just try to careful not to fully thread it on... just enough turns to ensure it can't possibly fall off.

Sorry I can't offer advice on filter wrenches... everything I see these days is plastic.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Desmond photographic Distributors makes metal filter wrenches: [MOD NOTE: Link Removed Per FORUM GUIDELINES]

I rarely have trouble with my CPL filters and when I do get a stubborn filter, my plastic wrenches always worked for me. 

Review here:  A Useful Aluminium Filter Wrench from Desmond

Desmond-Filter-Wrench-003-MOTION.gif

Mike Sowsun

Thanks, Mike. That looks like the answer. Have had rotten luck with the plastic ones.

I am also interested in filter wrenches.  The Desmond certainly looks better than the plastic variety.  However, after searching the Desmond website and also eBay, there are two filter size groups for which no wrenches are available: 60-70mm & 87-100.  Specifically, the wrench sizes are 52-58mm, 72mm-86mm, and 105mm-112mm.  So, as long as your lens filters are within those ranges, you're good to go.  In my case, I have two lenses that are 67mm and one that is 95mm.

Announcements