cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Lens Recommendations

mwalters
Apprentice

Hello, I’m new to photography and have hopes of making a future out of it one day so I just have some questions and figured this community could help me!

So I currently have the Canon eos m50 and I’m looking to invest in a few more lenses which are the EF 50mm f1.2 and the EF 70-200mm f2.8. I’m sure at some point in the future I’ll upgrade to another camera model, maybe the R body because my goal is professional photography. With saying this, am I able to just go ahead and get the RF 50mm and RF 70-200mm now and use these on my m50 body or is this not an option with the m50? I’m just trying to be smart with my investments and I’m thinking in the long run if I’ll be able to use these lenses on other camera bodies. I appreciate any advice, thank you! 

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

The M50 is a system with a unique lens mount that is unable to accept R-series lenses, so don't waste your money buying RF, or RF-S glass if you are determined to use it.  The M50 is really designed for hybrid vloggers and those who want a very small, light system.  It is an OK camera to learn the basics on, but the M-mount series is obsolescent and has no future as a platform.

If you are serious about investing in RF glass then get an R-series body, ditch the M50 and whatever EF-M lenses you have. 

With no idea of your budget, the low end of the R-series bodies would be something like an R8 which is a full-frame 35mm camera.   RF lenses come in two types, the professional L-series lenses - which are really expensive, and the STM lenses that, while more modest in price and some features, are still very capable and great platforms to learn on and develop your skills.

The lenses you are considering seem to suggest that you are looking at portrait and event photography.  Given that it will take a considerable time for you to be good enough to earn money - there IS a learning curve here for any newbie, but the curve is much longer for a professional.   If you cannot afford the RF 70-200 L-series lens, I suggest picking up a Canon EF 70-200 f/4 MkII L series lens.  This is a professional grade lens from the DSLR platform, and you can use that with an R-series body via the EF-RF adapter.  It is an absolutely fabulous optic, light and relatively affordable.  It will provide you with a competent optic for some time - I shoot with it and it's great.   You can get a RF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens that will provide you with a good optic at that FL.

As I mentioned, it will be a while before you will be able to work in the business (I started 40 years ago and I can attest to the fact that the competition now is much, much greater) and the STM lenses will be perfectly able to get you to that stage without breaking the bank. 

What I strongly urge you to do is invest in education.  Go and get some courses under your belt, join a local photographic society and take lots of photos to learn.  Great gear will not make you a great photographer: skill - both technical and artistic, will. There is no shortcut to doing your time, so save your money and get gear that will support your learning curve.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you so much for the reply, lots of great advice there! Seems like you are well educated in photography so let me quickly ask your opinion on DSLR vs mirrorless?

Back to our previous discussion, without speaking budget, in your opinion which is the best Canon camera? I’ve done a lot of research but I wanted to get advice from others who have more experience before I make the purchase on a new camera body. I have played around in photography for a little while and I really enjoy it and I wish to advance my skills and knowledge. With saying this, I am dedicated to learning more and I understand the investment which is why I want to make a smart choice with my next purchase. I appreciate your response!

Hi again.  Yes, I have been shooting for over 40 years, from film to digital as a pro, and now retired.

The question of "what is the best camera" is impossible to answer - there are too many variables.   The question really should be: WHAT IS THE BEST CANON CAMERA FOR MY SPECIFIC PURPOSES?  The answer to that requires you to consider a series of questions which I included in the following post: Considerations for People Seeking Gear Advice - Canon Community.

I suggest having a look at that, then coming back with that information and we can match the best solution for your needs.  Let me emphasize again, the main factor in taking great images, and very necessary as a professional is skill level.  A good photographer should be able to pick up any camera and function with it to create acceptable images - and that comes with time.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements