cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Separated Into Two

mwa20
Apprentice

Hello everyone, 

I have a Canon Rebel EOS L3 Camera with a Canon Zoom Lens EF-3 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM Lens. I dropped my camera and my lens stopped contracting to zoom in and out. In an attempt to fix the issue, I softy pulled the lens forward but my lens separated into two different parts. Additionally, two small pieces came out of my lens. Any ideas as to how I could fix this? Thank you!

Two small piecesTwo small piecesLens separated into two 1Lens separated into two 1Lens separated into two 2Lens separated into two 2

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sadly this is not worth the cost of repair. You can get a replacement far more cheaply than a repair. Attempting to do it yourself is not going to end well.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

What Trevor said. Question to the group: What would be a good lens to replace it?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Well, it depends on what the budget is (as always), and what the OP has.  Still, I would generally recommend one of two courses of action:
- exact replacement, limited budget: the EF-S 18-55 STM version.
- go bigger: EF-S 18-135 STM or USM, both are great lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Screenshot 2024-01-18 091523.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree.  That is eWaste.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements