Apprentice

POST CLOSED

Sharing information and experiences with other Canon-friends,

I understand that with R or Mark or Rebel family, the final result Is equal,

I am waiting that canon understand canon professional users requirements

in: low weight, major usability, easy access to Menu and buttons options

without lose quality, more compatibility with best BIGGEsT Sensor

and efficiency IN THE FUTURE.

Finally, thanks friends that for take a time for reply this post.

I wish Good Health to all. 🙂

47AC6AB0-34B4-4304-9082-B8FA3847564D.jpegImage credits: LanceD

SHOOT WITH CANON R

70-200mm 2.8

EXIF

F 3.2

I 320

S 1/400

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The  adapters are as good as it gets. Canon is not about to change the RF mount. Most of the issues  I have seen with the adapters are either non-Canon adapters or lenses or Canon lenses that need a firmware update.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Things change.  The only thing you can entirely count on is, things will change. What you previously bought still works as well as it ever did. It will continue to do so. Nobody ever suggested they would work forever and for any future format created.

BTW, I don't like it either. I've already been through it before!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

BTW, are these things you have experienced first hand, or stuff you saw on the internet?

If you are having specific issues, give us the details and we might be able to help.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@haneyx wrote:

Previous greetings official canon,

I want to know what will happen to
users who have a wide range of
products for the 5dmark ii, iii and iv family,
because the new R family does not
SUPPORT EF LENSES by default
and the published adapter is not 
100% safe against falls, it does not
ensure full compatibility as it fits
securely and a reliable image is
not obtained as there was no such
adapter added to the fact that this
adds weight.  Please pay attention
to my case.
 Easy is to leave a 5DMark suite
without worrying about all the
investment in EF lenses that is made.

res ipsa loquitor

https://youtu.be/okeedXcuCjI

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@haneyx wrote:

Previous greetings official canon,

I want to know what will happen to
users who have a wide range of
products for the 5dmark ii, iii and iv family,
because the new R family does not
SUPPORT EF LENSES by default
and the published adapter is not 
100% safe against falls, it does not
ensure full compatibility as it fits
securely and a reliable image is
not obtained as there was no such
adapter added to the fact that this
adds weight.  Please pay attention
to my case.
 Easy is to leave a 5DMark suite
without worrying about all the
investment in EF lenses that is made.

@haneyx,

Love it.  Compatibility aside.  Speaking from a brand agnostic perspective.  What camera and lens combination are you aware of that is 100% safe against falls.  Last time I checked, dropping any camera or lens regardless of brand doesn't end well for the owner.  So there is no more or less protection afforded by using / not using a control ring.  Weight, ya, but thats just part of it.  Don't drop your stuff is pretty much it.     

Compatibility wise.  Everyone is in the same boat here.  Many of us have thousands of dollars invested in EF glass.  Photography is and has changed.  Mirrorless is it.  You can now say as a photographer, I remember a time before mirrorless and RF glass.  The same way others remember when there was only film.  If you are like the rest of us, you're going to wait until Canon gets mirrorless right.  Or you can jump on the R5 or 6 bandwagon, grab a control ring and begin your transition.   

Eventually, you are going to buy new glass, EF glass has been around for decades (since 1987).  RF glass is the replacement and will be around till whatever the next standard is.  I'm going to keep driving my turbo Subaru, and resist Tesla... but even they are starting to make EV cars now.

Jared Polin's video sums it up.  EF glass works with a mirrorless body's.  Probably going to see ray guns in my lifetime too, but bullets still work well.  No control ring needed. 

The decision is not an easy one, and is only one you can make  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Transitions are always painful, especially for the wallet.

Pros can make money out of their equipment. For most of us amateurs, it's pure leisure, so the change is painful. I still have all of my film cameras and lenses collecting dust.

" I still have all of my film cameras and lenses collecting dust."

They make good paper weights!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

haneyx
Apprentice

POST CLOSED

SHOOT WITH CANON R

70-200mm 2.8

EXIF

F 3.2

I 320

S 1/400

I have about $56,000 worth of camera gear and 95% of that is Canon.  I also shoot Nikon, Sony and Olympus.   I have a huge selection of Canon Ef and EF-S lenses and a few Sigma super zooms, so you may say I have a lot of skin in the game.  Considering a potential investment in R-series equipment, I checked reputable agnostic testing websites, such as DPREVIEW.COM, CAMERALABS.COM and THEDIGITALPICTURE.COM.  

I do NOT check social media sites (a screen shot of which it would appear you have posted) as they are unregulated and have no technical or editorial oversight.  In the post you display, apart from the execrable English and incomplete sentences, there is no specific issue mentioned, just general moans about Canon. Lance D Curry's response was, I think, taking the Mickey out of the main post!

Frankly, Canon has a reputation, justly deserved, of having one of the most user-friendly interfaces available - compare theirs to Sony's...  Further the quality of Canon's equipment is demonstrated by their dominance in the market and if you look at the images of wedding, sports and journalistic photographers, or check a site like the Wildlife Photographer of the Year, you will see that Canon is well represented among people who have to produce on demand quality, consistent results and who have a choice of brands.  Amongst the major brands there are not really bad cameras, especially at the professional level - a lot comes down to how the gear operates as a system  and most of all, the skill of the photographer.

If one was to check the authoritative sites, then you would observe that Canon have been up front from the beginning about the fact that the EF lens mount needed an overhaul and upgrade to make the most of the new technologies emerging now and in the reasonable future.  The majority of RF lenses they have brought out are, generally speaking, aimed at professionals and they are, with a few exceptions, expensive - but brilliant optically.  The EF to RF mount converters have been out in the market place for a couple of years now and the genuine Canon ones seem to work within spec with Canon lenses. I have associates who use R-series cameras with EF glass and they say the work fine.  No, you won't get IBIS to work but that the nature of the older tech - it simply doesn't have the technical interfaces to engage with IBIS.  The EF adaptors do not guarantee to work with 3rd party lenses, and conversely Canon EF lenses are not guaranteed to work with 3rd party adaptors - nothing new there, and frankly quite reasonable.

@haneyx wrote:

POST CLOSED

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements