cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Causing "Error 01" Message

rosenphoto
Apprentice

So, this is crazy and driving me nuts. I hope someone has an answer for me. 

I'm a wedding photographer.

I have a 5D Mark IV and a 6D Mark II and a range of lenses. 

A month ago, mid wedding, I start to get error 1 messages with my 24-70 2.8L lens. This is series 1 lens. Got that message on both camera, so assumed it was the lens. 

That lens is my workhorse, so I tried to get it repaired. Was told it would cost me $500 and take over a month, so I'd have to rent a lens for that time, which would have run $300, so $800 all together. 

Decided to buy a used lens for $750 instead. 

After a week, that lens also started showing error 1 messages on both my cameras. 

So, returned that lens and got another used lens and as soon as I put it on the camera, got another error 1.

So now I've gotten error 1 messages with three 24-70 2.8L lenses on both of my cameras. All my other lenses work perfectly on both cameras. Just the 24-70 2.8 L is giving me the error. 

So it doesn't seem to be the cameras, it seems to be this series of lens. 

Tried updating the firmware on both cameras, all of a sudden the original lens starts working. But then, after 100 pics or so, it goes back to error 1 again. 

I have four weddings in December, I need to depend on my equipment, but I'm scared to use this lens, and this is my primary lens. I use it for 80% of my images. 

Can't afford $2000 for a new lens. At my wits end here. Is it possible for a series of lenses to become incompatible with all my cameras? That seems improbable? 

What's going on?

I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This lens series has a design/build issue with an internal cable and when it fails the lens will generally only work at wide open aperture and this is generating the error message.  Canon repair is about the only solution, a lot of used 24-70 glass for sale is because someone is dumping their own problematic lens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I'm assuming this is not a repairable issue. So new lens is my only option. 

I don't think Canon repairs this lens anymore. Too old. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I would jump right on this today...  Cyber Monday

Shop Canon Refurbished EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon U.S.A, Inc.

shadowsports_0-1701117036085.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This may be a good solution. Was looking at the Sigma lens with same specs, and it's $1200. Do you know if refurbished Canon come with a warranty? 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Does Canon refurbishing actually correct the design/build issue spoken of here and in numerous other threads? Or is a faulty cable just replaced with another of the same?

Announcements