cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-70 2.8L II USM Zoom Issue… Worth Repairing???

SJ7
Contributor

Greetings everyone!

My 24-70 2.8L II USM lens no longer zooms. The zoom ring only moves from 35-70 mm and the lens itself is internally stuck at 50 mm (I can only shoot at 50 mm with this lens). The focus ring appears to be fine.

Canon’s cost to repair this lens is $600 + tax and shipping. At that amount, I’m wondering if I should bother getting the lens repaired. I used the lens with my 6D Mark II (EF mount) and R5 (RF mount with adapter). It was one of my favorite lenses! (I also have an RF 24-105 4L but I’m not too fond of it 🥴)

Curious to know your thoughts! Do you all think repairing the lens is worth it? Or should I save that money to go towards an RF 24-70 2.8L ? 

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The majority of failures associated with the mkII are usually electrical, and not mechanical in nature.  As it sits, the lens isn't worth much broken. 

I passed on this lens at release because it didn't have IS.  Although it was light, I ultimately decided on the Sigma 24~70 Art.  I never regretted that choice.  Its like that lens was made for my 6D2.  The RF 24~70 was the first RF glass I purchased for my current body.  Its fantastic.  I recommend it.

I would fix the mkII, and sell it, at or slightly above the cost of repair.  Yes, I would buy the RF 24~70 for your R5.  It will likely go on sale for the holidays.  Refurb from Canon is another option.  I paid full price, but it's worth it.  Buy a CarePak.  They are a small price to pay to protect your investment.  You hope you'll never need it, but if you do, Canon will take care of you and the experience is worry-free.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Never had this sort of issue  before so I think I had sticker shock with the cost of repair. I appreciate your insight! Repairing and reselling is probably my best bet. 

Have a wonderful weekend! 

SJ7
Contributor

Oops… I accidentally posted this in the wrong category. Sorry for the error!

SJ7
Contributor

Greetings everyone!

My 24-70 2.8L II USM lens no longer zooms. The zoom ring only moves from 35-70 mm and the lens itself is internally stuck at 50 mm (I can only shoot at 50 mm with this lens). The focus ring appears to be fine.

Canon’s cost to repair this lens is $600 + tax and shipping. At that amount, I’m wondering if I should bother getting the lens repaired. I used the lens with my 6D Mark II (EF mount) and R5 (RF mount with adapter). It was one of my favorite lenses! (I also have an RF 24-105 4L but I’m not too fond of it 🥴)

Curious to know your thoughts! Do you all think repairing the lens is worth it? Or should I save that money to go towards an RF 24-70 2.8L ? 

Yes, it is worth repairing.

Duplicate Post. https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Speedlite-Flashes/EF-24-70-2-8L-II-USM-Zoom-Issue-Worth-Repairing... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi there!

Thanks for your response! And yeah, I initially posted under the wrong category. Not sure how to delete the other post or if I can merge the two somehow. 🤔

Hi!  We merged the two threads into one for you.  Thanks for posting!

Thanks so much! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Yes, it is worth repairing."

Why is that true? Can you buy a good working EF 24-70 2.8L II USM for $600 bucks. That pretty much answers your question doesn't it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements