cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS - Best Wildlife Lens

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens with EOS-1 D X Camera

This revolutionary and versatile wildlife lens has been released. I have taken delivery now and have written a preliminary review of this production lens. Once I have put it through a few wildlife photo shoots, I will write a more detailed review. This lens is a wildlife photographer's dream when used with the EOS-1D X camera. Take a look at my review below. Keep checking back.  MichaelDanielHo.com

Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review

Canon EOS-1D X Camera Review

53 REPLIES 53

Skirball
Authority

As soon as I dredge up $12,000 for a lens, I'll get right on that waiting list.

@Skirball wrote:

I'm right there with you,  Gonna be a tough sell to the wife, maybe cancel the kids' college fund.  Cat Happy

@7D5D wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

I'm right there with you,  Gonna be a tough sell to the wife, maybe cancel the kids' college fund.  Cat Happy

I'm not quite as far along in the family stage as you.  I was thinking I may have to discuss with the wife: cancelling the kids.

@Skirball wrote:

@7D5D wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

I'm not quite as far along in the family stage as you.  I was thinking I may have to discuss with the wife: cancelling the kids.

Oh definitely cancel the kids and go for the lens.  Kids are tough, especially girls from about 11 on.  Just kidding of course.

No doubt this 200-400 is a very appealing lens.  The MTF charts are very impressive.  A constant f/4 from 200-400 then a constant f/5.6 from 280-560.  Along with my 70-200 II what more could I want?  Oh ya, a 1D X.

I'm looking forward to renting one someday but I'll bet that will even be pricey and with a waiting list.  Don't expect many shops will have multiple copies.

Oh and what kills me is Canon is charging $910 for the case.  You mean the case isn't included?  Good grief!

@7D5D wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

@7D5D wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

Oh definitely cancel the kids and go for the lens.  Kids are tough, especially girls from about 11 on.  Just kidding of course.

No doubt this 200-400 is a very appealing lens.  The MTF charts are very impressive.  A constant f/4 from 200-400 then a constant f/5.6 from 280-560.  Along with my 70-200 II what more could I want?  Oh ya, a 1D X.

I'm looking forward to renting one someday but I'll bet that will even be pricey and with a waiting list.  Don't expect many shops will have multiple copies.

Oh and what kills me is Canon is charging $910 for the case.  You mean the case isn't included?  Good grief!

Hi. Yes, the EF 200-400mm f/4L's price is quite high but I need to upgrade my 400mm lens inventory. My current models' technology date back to 1993 (EF 400mm f/5.6), 1998 (EF 100-400mm) and 2001 (EF 400mm DO). I am also eagerly waiting for the EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II to come out some time later this year. The new EF 200-400mm lens will be a bit too heavy for hand holding but the new EF 100-400mm will be perfect for that purpose and should be priced less than $3,000.

I expect the EF 200-400mm to be in very short supply so it will be highly unlikely this lens will reach the rental market any time soon. All Super Telephoto Lenses come with a bespoke hard lens case but Canon also sells the case separately in case one needs a replacement. http://MichaelDanielHo.com 

I find it difficult to get over joyed with a 400mm tele zoom at f4 and/or a f5.6. Especially with a $12 grand price tag.

I am curious how many pro sports photographers will gravitate to one? Might be OK for daytime sports but under the lights?

We'll see.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I find it difficult to get over joyed with a 400mm tele zoom at f4 and/or a f5.6. Especially with a $12 grand price tag.

I am curious how many pro sports photographers will gravitate to one? Might be OK for daytime sports but under the lights?

We'll see.

On the contrary, I cannot wait to take delivery of this lens. An f/4 aperture when mated to the Canon EOS-1D X camera is perfectly acceptable for wildlife photography, even in the rainforests of Central America or jungles in India. You can read a preview of the amazing EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens here.

EF 200-400mm lens preview

I guess we'll see. Won't we? I will not be in line for one. Better judgment would suggest the 600mm f4, which is at nearly the same price point would be a better choice. And even the 400mm f2.8 for less money would be and even better choice.

The thing is, most zoom lenses are used at the long end of their range, way more than they ever are at the short side.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This lens was long in coming and I recall seen with jealousy my Nikon friends with their 200-400 zooms.

I will be seriously considering this lens and after its reviews are posted in the web; will probably consider as a replacement for my 400 mm f 2.8 IS MKII.  I currently use 400mm lens with the 1.4X  about 90% of the time so the zoom f 4 opening will not be a concern.  I am glad that Canon is finally listening and moved the zoom ring to the front where its is more praticable to use and the focusing ring to the back while reducing its size.  I seldom using the focusing ring due to the new autofocus systems in both the 1Dx and the 5DIII.  My only concern with this lens is with the built-in 1.4X level; I wonder how waterproof it is; it looks like a perfect reservoir to collect water/debris.  I use my gear in wet areas and so far, the 400 mm and the newer cameras has worked without problems.  

Announcements