cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 100-400mm Draining EOS M50 Battery? Future Camera Advice.

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

My battery on my Canon eos M50 seems to be draining very quickly as of late, I have two that are factory batteries and one that is a Vivatar My old lens (Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM) had an led display on it that would drain the battery if not turned off but I do not see that on my Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens. The Camera body was recently serviced so I am wondering if it is something on the lens I may have missed? I have been using this lens since roughly April of this year so I do not see it being the lens but I am grasping at straws.

Also quick questions I am looking to upgrade to a RF body in April and was wondering what the difference will be in batteries, memory cards and I know I will have to get an adapter to use my EF/EFS lenses on that body but can't seem to find one, can anyone give me some information on that please? Thank you very much for your time and have a great night or whatever time of the day it is there where you are.IMG_8717secondresized.jpg399420214_10223966228966048_9028593720986534144_n.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

Peter
Authority
Authority

I got battery drain with Viltrox Speedbooster and my M5. Three days and then empty.

This is overnight, I charge it and next morning when I see a deer or turkey I turn the camera on and the battery is dead, I am charging it before I go to bed.

Airplane mode on or Bluetooth/WiFi off?

What if you remove lens, adapter and memory card?

If the battery is still working, insert the memory card and charge the battery and wait for the next day.

Still good battery? Mount an EF-M lens if you have that, charge and see what happens the next day.

To my knowledge there is no airplane mode on the camera or the lens. I know there is on a cell phone but I have never heard of it on a camera of lens before. I have not had higher end gear before so maybe I have more to learn when it comes to that.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi FarOutDude,

I remember when you joined the forums and the evolution of your gear.  Broke your LCD, got it repaired, etc.  You got a nice lens this year.  

I think the new body is a great idea and something to look forward to.  Have you given any thought as to APS-C or full frame?

Canon makes 2 types of mount adapters.  A standard EF to EOS R adapter and a Control Ring Adapter..

The control Ring adapter is a bit more expensive.  There are refurbished versions of both too, but they are out of stock at the moment. 

Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R (canon.com)

I've not had battery drain issues with any of my gear.  2 of the 5 batteries I had for my 6D2 started getting tired before I sold it.  By tired I mean didn't last as long.  They didn't go dead, but I noticed a reduction in the number of shots I could get on a single charge.  Over time, batteries do become more weak.  The number of times they can be charged and depleted is not infinite and after a point, will eventually lose their ability to hold a charge.  

A new camera may require faster cards with a different standard (example) UHS-I vs UHS-II.  It will likely use a different battery to.   

What camera models were you considering.  I have some ideas based on the type of images you take most, but want to hear what you are thinking.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well I am really pushing to get an R5 but am not sure how that is going to work out. With my wildlife and landscape my next option that I am thinking is the R6 MKII though I really do not want to go that rout, I want the 45MP in full frame as I am already getting offered money for my pictures and want to put out the best images I can. After I get the camera whichever it ends up being I will start to say for either a Lseries landscape lens or a Lseries Macro lens. Not sure on the Macro and I have not been able to kneel since 1988 but I love the idea of taking pictures of rain/ice drops as the form on trees or snow crystals and so on. Winter is my favorite time of year and there is so much in Macro during Winter.

I have wondered if maybe the batteries are getting weak, but it seems odd that batteries bought at separate times, from different companies and one being another brain would all do the same thing at once?

I have some Mennonites wanting me to take pictures of their horses for sale at auctions and I have no clue what kind of lens to go for there, any idea? The pictures would go into a flyer.

I will want to keep my M50 when I upgrade to take into places I do not want to go with new camera, like my waterfall pictures.

By the way, thank you for the compliment on my pictures getting better, means a lot. I took this of my dog the other day but think I needed more light as I picked up some lines.MistyMisty

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“  My old lens (Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM) had an led display on it that would drain the battery if not turned off but I do not see that on my Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens. “

You should always turn off the camera when not in use.  Mirrorless cameras have a “Continuous AF” setting that constantly refocuses the lens.  I always keep it disabled.

Most of the third party EF/EF-M mount adapters have been known to drain the battery, even when the camera is switched off.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I always turn the camera off, are you say the continuous autofocus works even when the camera if off?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Always keep Continuous AF disabled - me too 😃

@FarOut, the price for the R5 should drop when the R52 is released.  We may get an announcement next month with a Q1 release.  The mkI will be 4 by then and still a fantastic camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements