cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Canon T70 Lenses Work on Other Models?

carl00
Apprentice

Hi guys, a quick question I have a canon t70. Need repaired and I don't want to pay the quote I got for a repair as it's almost double the price I paid for the camera. I am wondering if i buy another model of canon will I still be able to use my lenses on other canon model. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

See Will Lens X Work on Camera Y.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Ricky has linked to a very informative document but I think your camera is a T70, which is now quite an old camera and uses the FD lens mount, not the more recent EF or even more recent RF mount. This mount is not covered by the document Ricky has linked to.

FD mount lenses will be marked FD on the lens somewhere. They are manual focus, mechanical linkage lenses. It is not possible to mount an FD lens on an EF mount camera, but it is possible, using a third party adapter (available at low cost from Amazon et al) to mount an FD lens on an RF mount mirrorless camera. Aperture and focus adjustments will both be manual, by turning the rings on the lens.

FD to RF adapter.jpg

Whether you would actually want to use an FD lens on an RF mount camera is another matter. You'll get no help with the focus. Your T70 has focus assistance via microprism/split spot in the viewfinder, but you won't even get this much help. And you have to set the aperture yourself, too, although the camera will advise the correct exposure with the aperture you have chosen. And you can have a nice bright image in the electronic viewfinder no matter what aperture you have selected.

Camera technology has advanced so far since the T70 (a great camera in its day) and I think you'll want to get the best out of a new camera by using lenses designed for it. Otherwise you'll be paying a lot for technology you won't be able to use fully. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear!

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

Thanks for the correction, Joey! You're correct in that the article only addresses the more recent mounts and not FD mounts.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Joey, great answer, I think you've covered it.  But I just wanted to point out that with FD lenses, you would at least still have whatever focus assist features are built into the camera -- specifically peaking and magnification.  But yes, the focus guide feature goes away.

FD lenses -- at least the better ones -- are quite highly regarded in film-making, and are used quite a lot there, so they're not totally obsolete yet.  See e.g. Media Division's video "Canon FD & K35 – Legendary cine lenses on a budget".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Il_l3tu6Q

normadel
Authority
Authority

The T70 uses FD-mount manual focus lenses, used on Canon film cameras prior to the introduction of the EOS autofocus system. These do not fit on EF-mount autofocus camera bodies, whether film or digital. There ARE adapters to mount an FD lens on an EF autofocus body, but the user experience is less than fully satisfactory, for multiple reasons involving image quality and functional control. 

If you want to best use your FD lenses, get another manual-focus film camera. The T-series, the A-series, F1, and older models will fill the bill.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"FD lenses -- at least the better ones -- are quite highly regarded in film-making, and are used quite a lot there, so they're not totally obsolete yet."

The FD lenses may be as good as they ever were but the adapters leave a lot to be desired. Mostly cheap poorly corrected corrector lenses used in them. I have adapted FD lenses in as many ways as I think are available. Almost none of them are worth the time to do it let alone the money they cost.  Even though some adapters are really cheap.

The only one I give any positive marks to is the Ed Mika adapter. It is not cheap! Even then none are as good as their current counter parts.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

... and just as an addendum to all the above:

I posted above that it is not possible to adapt an FD lens to mount on an EF mount camera. I was wrong, there are adapters available, the ones I'm familiar with add optical elements and those inevitably reduce the optical performance of the lens, and I think, their effective focal length. And, as EBiggs1 has said, their quality is often suspect. I believe there are adapters that do not have optical elements, but these generally will not allow focus to infinity. I have no experience with any that do allow infinity focus, can't comment on their reliability or quality.

For that reason mounting an FD lens on an EF body is not recommended. In my view it's a terrible idea. However it is possible to mount an FD lens on an RF mount body with a simple adapter which does not add optical elements and therefore does not degrade the performance of the lens at all. The adapters are third party, Canon does not make one, so the quality is no doubt variable, but the one I use, from a company based in Australia, is of good quality and works very well - see the photo I posted earlier in this thread.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Film had its day.  Kodal, Agfa and Fuji ruled the world.  Once digital cameras were available, There was still a period where die hard enthusiasts continued shooting film.  Like painting, true artists.  Once software technology caught up and allowed you to mimic film digitally (think DxO FilmPack) that was it.  Its time to retire that T70 from 1984.  If you want to continue shooting film, then KEH or midwestcamera sells "classic" or "vintage" body's.  I get it and remember what it felt like to drop off your film.  The anticipation, what are my shots going to look like?  With digital you don't have to wonder if you got the shot anymore.     

I'd start with a new mirrorless camera and lens.  Refurb from the Canon store or used from a reputable source. Its not as if you haven't received all of the ROI, and then some on the T70. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Ed Mika adapters don’t have a lens in them and they maintain infinity focus. I am not sure they work on all and every FD lens. The ones I have tried and used them on work very well. Again Ed Mika adapters are not cheap.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements