cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defect autofocus / focus EF 100mm f/2,8L Macro IS USM

SteksDK
Apprentice

Hi.  I've read some of the previous threads regarding issues with autofocusing on this particular lens, but I think that my problem is somewhat different.
When I turn on the camera, 5D III, the lens immediately starts hunting/clicking, and when I say hunting, I mean hunting. I sounds like someone castagnettes in a certain rythm four clicks, 1. sek. pause, four clicks and so on. It's still clicking while the camera is cleaning the sensor... When I point the camera downwards the clicking/hunting stops and when I bring the camera back to horisontal, no clicking until I half press the trigger, and it starts again. Viewfinder or screen, all the same.
I think that I've tried it all; all different programmes, different distance setting, AF or MF, stabilizer on/off, manually setting focus and no problem with my other lenses... I'ts all no-go. I'm aware that this is somewhat a technical problem, but anyone out there experienced the same.

Have a nice day - Regards Steffen

P.S.: As an excuse ofr misspelling or bad grammar, I'm from Denmark and english is not my native language c",)

Whereever you look, whenever you look, you'll see a motive. Sometimes you seek them, sometimes you plan them, sometimes they just come to you. It's all in your eyes, fantasy and imagination... Welcome to my World
4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like you need to send it to your local repair shop. Do you have another camera to try?

The only one I could try it on was a 1DS II and the problem was the same, but not so hefty, so you're right, we probably have to visit the lens doctor 😞

Whereever you look, whenever you look, you'll see a motive. Sometimes you seek them, sometimes you plan them, sometimes they just come to you. It's all in your eyes, fantasy and imagination... Welcome to my World

"As an excuse of misspelling or bad grammar, I'm from Denmark and english is not my native language"

You are doing a whole heck of a lot better than I would do in your native language!

"Whereever Whenever you look, whenever you look, you'll see a motive. ... "

Can't help you much with the lens as it probably needs professional service but you did mispell "whenever.  Hope that helps.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I agree that you need to have the lens checked out. I have that lens and have used mine on a 6Dii, a 90D, an R, and an R5 with no problems whatsoever.

Announcements