cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion about this lense

jmark
Contributor
I just recently bought Tamron 60mm f/2 Di II LD IF Macro 1:1 SP AF lense. The website i bought it from states that it is an EF/s lense, but the lense itself has a red dot (as if it is an EF lense). I plan on upgrading my camera in not so long to a camera to a 6D mkii or something similar which only takes EF lenses. So I'm considering sending this lense back for a refund.

Is it EF or EF/s?
10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Contact Tamron or the retailer.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The docs say it is for "APS-C", but if I was Tamron, I would always use an EF mount, even for lenses optimised for APS-C. Why reverse engineer *two* mounts, when one will suffice?

@kvbarkley wrote:

The docs say it is for "APS-C", but if I was Tamron, I would always use an EF mount, even for lenses optimised for APS-C. Why reverse engineer *two* mounts, when one will suffice?

Because a lens optimized for APS-C will be too close to the focal plane of  a FF camera and may interfere with the mirror. Also, if the image doesn't fill the frame, the buyer will gripe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If the lens is model  #G005E, its APS-C.  Not a bad lens if you plan to stay with an  APS-C body.  Not a good choice for FF at 96mm (equivlent).

If you want macro, the Canon 100mm Macro is a better choice for FF (EF)  mount.  More costly, but a better lens system match for a FF body.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jmark
Contributor
That's what I thought. Then why does it have a red dot?

"Then why does it have a red dot?"

The correct and full name of the lens in question is Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Di II 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon EF.

Although the lens is designed for a crop body it has an EF mount and can be used on a FF body.  I, personally, have never used this lens so I can not say how well it will work on a FF but I suspect it will be less than fantastic. Maybe it is fantastic?

IMHO, the lens you want and it is nearly the same price is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens. Both lenses are in the same level of good intermediate quality but the nod goes to the Canon.  Rule of thumb, don't buy 3rd world if Canon has the same or nearly the same lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jmark
Contributor
Ah okay. Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty new to all this. Right, back to the store it goes then 😊

jmark
Contributor
I'll also add, that on my Canon 200D it takes lovely photos, but since I wouldn't mind upgrading the body within the next year, I think I'll spend a little more on a Camera macro lense.

jmark
Contributor
*canon
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements