cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of Zeiss ZE lenses and Canon RF cameras

TEQUILA
Contributor

Please respond to those whose RF series camera does not detect the Zeiss ZE lens? I have two cameras. One is a Canon EOS 6D and the other is an EOS R8. The EOS 6D camera is equipped with a Carl Zeiss 50 1.4 ZE lens. But the R8 camera does not see the lens. There is a dash in EXIF.

I use the original Canon EF-R adapter. Zeiss lenses have electronic contacts. Canon R8 controls the lens aperture and allows the use of focus assistant. But the R8 camera does not write the name of the lens in Exif. The Canon 6D camera writes the name of the lens into the exif. I want RF system cameras to register the name of the Zeiss lens in Exif

28 REPLIES 28

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Unfortunately, like most camera makers, Canon do not take responsibility for 3rd party equipment that people attach to their own equipment.   This is not unique to Canon, the same thing applies to all major vendors.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Canon EF defines Zeiss lenses. They are not detected only by RF cameras

That fact that Canon cameras worked with Zeiss lenses is more a function of the fact that Zeiss themselves did the work to make that happen. The onus is always on the 3rd party, not the OEM.  The fact that Canon have changed their platform may cause those compatibility efforts by Zeiss to be compromised, I would certainly not expect that Canon will take any action on this from their end.
As Rick suggested, you might try some measures to turn of features specific to the RF mount lenses.  Also, what brand adapter are you using from the lens to the body?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I only use original Canon adapter. I think Canon will not agree to the meeting and the lenses will never be registered in Exif. I wonder if the Voigtlander Nokton RF 50 1 brand will be registered in the Exif file? Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses are manufactured in the same factory. And even their design is similar

NO third party lenses or other accessories are supported by camera OEM companies. I am not sure how to make that clearer.

cheers, TREVOR

Sigma ART lenses work great with Canon R8. They are written in EXIF.

The fact that a lens works with a brand and model is down to the lens maker NOT the camera maker. If you want your lens to function, I suggest you consult with the lens maker.

cheers, TREVOR

You keep referring to what is written in the EXIF file - what EXACTLY is the significance of that to you?  Does your lens function as it did with the EF mount?

The way that the design system with cameras works is this:  A camera maker designs a lens mount as part of designing a new camera platform.  It then designs various bodies and lenses for that new mount and those bodies, and releases its own lenses that it will support, and are rigorously tested to work with said mount.  It makes no warranty or implication that lenses from third parties will work with its new platform as they have not been involved in the process.

A third-party company either has lenses for an earlier mount, or wishes to build new lenses for the new system.  It will engage with the camera OEM for access to the certain information that may include firmware code, and will likely (especially these days) be covered by a licensing agreement between the OEM and lens maker.   The third-party lens maker will likely test their current lenses to see how they perform and, based on those results, may issue firmware updates to bring their existing lenses up to spec to work with the new mount.   This is exactly what Sigma did with their lenses and released a video to that point. 

Since the design of a lens is the property and under the control of the lens manufacturer, a camera make has no control over that, above enforcing any licensing limitations - in other words, the camera OEM has neither control over, nor responsibility for third-party lenses.

As we have all said, rather than beat your head against a brick wall with Canon (or Nikon, or any other camera OEM) the correct thing is to engage with the lens maker to see what they can do to resolve any compatibility issues.

cheers, TREVOR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Does the R8 have a setting that allows "Release shutter without lens attached"?  This might be in C1 settings if I recall.  You can try that if available.  

As Trevor said, some 3rd party lenses may not be supported.  A manual lens doesn't communicate, so you'll have to test it, and see if it works or not.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements