cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carepak question: on lens

bmitra
Contributor

Does anyone have this Carepak service for their lens? NOT camera. Information is a bit lagging for lens. I get if damaged, etc. but what about servicing the lens annually? Checking I see it's a very rudimentary service, for lens. Tighten some screws, clean exterior, do a clean of the exposed glass and check if things are turning / rotating as expected.

I have had cases where the lens (Canon) focus was a bit off. In EF mounts, under warranty. Question is: Can I use CarePak for that if I suspect such is the case with the just purchased 24-105 f/4 RF mount. I guess, I'll need to probably send the camera too but again: precision alignment seems to me an overkill for mirror less cameras and does seem practical.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Stephen,

Thank you for jumping in here.

Greetings @bmitra,
A description of the benefits as well as the terms is outlined in the link I provided. Stephen's links are identical. If you have a specific question, you can contact the CarePak team. I'm sorry you do not feel I answered your question specifically. I feel I did. The information I provided clearly states you can have your lenses inspected, tested, and adjusted once a year for free. So if a lens was somehow out of alignment, and forward or back focusing, it would be repaired and calibrated at no charge (once per year) during the covered period. I do not see any ambiguity there.

@bmitrawrote
My next question was against that - for mirror less I am being told Precision Alignment Service is not applicable. Do you have any feedback on that?

Yes, the information you were provided is not correct. A precision alignment service does apply to RF lenses. What's different? The mount, number of contacts and flange distance. The lens objectives, motors, and component groups are all the same, and are subject to the same things any lens might experience during its life. The link I provided talks about what is covered and how frequently.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

bmitra
Contributor

Typo : *not seem practical. In fact this precision alignment service Canon offers : is it even applicable for mirror less?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have CarePak's. Camera and lenses. It's important to put things in perspective. The cost is small comparatively considering the protection it provides. Even one service resulting from damage and its paid for itself.

See this link, it will answer all of your questions.

Canon CarePAK Plus Service Plans

Regarding your specific maintenance question. Yes, once a year.

shadowsports_0-1670215042138.jpeg

Camera Maintenance with Sensor Cleanings

Canon Maintenance Service, designed to help keep your gear in optimal working condition, is included for EOS Cameras and EF/RF Lenses one time per year for each year of your coverage period.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

bmitra
Contributor

I have gone thru the link. I specifically asked what's covered in lens. There was almost nothing on lens. That link touts a lot about camera sensor cleaning but zilch on lens. Please don't reply about damages and covering for them. I already wrote - I am aware of it. No point mentioning it.

Canon also offers Precision Alignment Service and under CarePak probably can ask if required. My next question was against that - for mirror less I am being told Precision Alignment Service is not applicable. Do you have any feedback on that?

Hi there!
shadowsports (Rick) isn't a Canon employee. He was trying to help you out of kindness. All available information for CarePAK PLUS can be found at canon.us/carepak, including the Terms and Conditions and the phone number to reach the dedicated CarePAK PLUS team should you have additional questions (1-833-CAREPAK).

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Stephen,

Thank you for jumping in here.

Greetings @bmitra,
A description of the benefits as well as the terms is outlined in the link I provided. Stephen's links are identical. If you have a specific question, you can contact the CarePak team. I'm sorry you do not feel I answered your question specifically. I feel I did. The information I provided clearly states you can have your lenses inspected, tested, and adjusted once a year for free. So if a lens was somehow out of alignment, and forward or back focusing, it would be repaired and calibrated at no charge (once per year) during the covered period. I do not see any ambiguity there.

@bmitrawrote
My next question was against that - for mirror less I am being told Precision Alignment Service is not applicable. Do you have any feedback on that?

Yes, the information you were provided is not correct. A precision alignment service does apply to RF lenses. What's different? The mount, number of contacts and flange distance. The lens objectives, motors, and component groups are all the same, and are subject to the same things any lens might experience during its life. The link I provided talks about what is covered and how frequently.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry: I checked. This is what you wrote: "he information I provided clearly states you can have your lenses inspected, tested, and adjusted once a year for free. So if a lens was somehow out of alignment, and forward or back focusing, it would be repaired and calibrated at no charge (once per year) during the covered period. I do not see any ambiguity there."

I checked the 1st. link - on Care Pak which took me to T&C site [https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/carepak-plus-terms] and from there [point #4] to below.

I see 11-point inspection listed but NONE of the stuff you mentioned. The only thing CLOSE is this: "CHECK OPERATION OF FOCUS RING, IRIS, AND ZOOM RING" and "PERFORM IMAGE TEST"

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/maintenance-service#lens

However -> my problem is this is "Checking" and does not implicitly say "Adjustment". In other words I do not want to be where yes: checking revealed things aren't as per manufacturer specs and do you want it corrected? If so it will be $xxxx!

Sorry - maybe I am being **bleep** but I have seen such terminology and it's omission is a root cause of multiple denials.

Thus - I am not able to accept this as a solution, my apologies. Can someone explicitly point out where this is stated? i.e. Canon will do the adjustments if required.

bmitra
Contributor

In fact in the same URL under "Disclaimer" this is clearly mentioned. And Care Pak is taking me to terms and condition and there it's explicitly indicated whatever this URL lists is what's the policy. Thus - I am now especially concerned.

If, upon inspection, additional services are necessary which require the camera or lens body to be disassembled or parts to be replaced, this will be considered a repair and you will receive a repair estimate. In this case, any payment made previously for the Canon Maintenance Service will be refunded. If you do not approve the repair estimate, repairs will not be made, your camera and/or lens will be returned to you and you will not incur any charges for Canon Maintenance Service.

Resolution Adjustment, and/or removing internal dust or debris of either the body or the lens are not covered under CMS. Autofocus adjustments and/or calibration of either the body or the lens are not covered under CMS. These services can be provided as a billable(chargeable) repair for each item.

The CarePAK PLUS Team can go over this with you in detail.

The whole idea of CarePAK PLUS is not to put you in a "gotcha" situation. It's to prevent you from being in a "gotcha" situation.

bmitra
Contributor

Thank you and I did. But VERBALLY they confirmed what you're saying. I am US. It has zero bearing on what they say over the phone. I asked them politely if they can confirm over email. They refused. Directed me to the same URLs you're pointing here.

My point is: the very fact they are refusing to acknowledge coupled with the fact the wordings clearly state CHECK when it could have said check and adjust causes me now immense concern. I know Canon is reputable company and normally are helpful to its customers but fail to understand why they are (a) refusing to add the terminology (b) confirm via writing (c) acknowledge this is a vague and debatable situation. (d) they have explicit disclaimers EXPLICITLY stating it is NOT covered.

I don't understand why you're so confident otherwise?

Camera equipment can get to 100s and there are lens costing $11,000. Let's just say it back or front focuses. I send it in and they confirm likewise. Using the EXACT terms as I pointed out they can refuse repairs. Legally, I have ZERO grounds to counter, considering their Terms and Conditions and the disclaimers listed.

Thus - I am raising this as an issue.

Announcements