cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RF 70-200 2.8 inner elements shaking

C37_
Apprentice

Just got my new 70-200 2.8 RF today and this is what happening. Shake baby, shake.

Things I tried:

- IS off, wait sometime, turn off the camera;

- replace the battery (used 7.2V canon original);

- replace the camera (R5 and RP);

- firmware update;

This happens even with the IS is OFF. Looks like its missing some part of the IS inside, maybe a rubber, don't know. Saying that because when it works, the focus is fast and perfect.

Of course I will try to turn it back. =P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Having watched your video, my advice is to contact Canon to have this repaired, it's obviously not supposed to do that!  Call 1-800-OK-CANON to talk to a technical person and log a job. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

This lens should be exchanged for a different one. This looks like focus pulsing which shouldn't happen at all.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Having watched your video, my advice is to contact Canon to have this repaired, it's obviously not supposed to do that!  Call 1-800-OK-CANON to talk to a technical person and log a job. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I already got in touch and will send it to the seller. I posted in order to understand what happened and maybe a guide for those who have the same problem (although didn’t find any post in the web about that). My guess is IS, any idea? As I said, it seems to be something loose inside and the seller said it was working by the time he sent. So I was wonder if the transportation can cause this.

* sorry for my English, not my first language. 

It's hard to do a diagnosis without actually having the unit to examine.  That said, it sounds like something is broken, missing or loose - none of which should be the case in a new lens.  I hope you get a resolutions quickly.

cheers, TREVOR

FilmCanister
Enthusiast

It looks like you got a lemon. I hope what you're experiencing isn't a typical issue, especially since Canon L lenses are supposed to be the cream of the crop.

Shake the lemon and make a lemonade. I got the idea. Haha. I will send it back, thanks for the reply. I was curious about what could be… didn’t find any post about. My guess is the front IS rubber that somehow is missing. There is no focus change when it shakes. Have a nice weekend!

JFG
Enthusiast

I have the RF 70-200mm F4 and have also used my friends 2.8 and most definitely your lense is defective.   If you just purchased it within 30 days, then return it and get the store to give you a new one, due to factory defect.  If you had it for a while and it's still under warranty then send it back to canon for repair or exchange for new one.  I would first contact canon tech support and have them open a ticket on the problem..                 Good Luck !

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

dstauft
Apprentice

I had exactly the same problem last year with my RF70-200 f2.8 a few months after I bought it, sent it in for a warranty repair and Canon replaced a control board in the lens.  Fast forward to last week - the problem came back.  Sending it back to Canon again, this time asking for a warranty replacement since they couldn’t fix it the first time.  It’s a PITA to have a lens of this caliber and price point fail in the middle of a shoot!  

Dan
Equipment: R6, R6 MKII, RF f/2.8 Trinity, RF50 f/1.2L, DJI Mini3 Pro, GoPro MAX
Announcements