cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 200-800 Lens Design Issue - Filter can't be used with hood

MadJack70
Contributor

A friend of mine was lucky enough to have received her Canon RF 200-800mm lens that she had ordered in Nov. 2023.  She has encountered an issue with the lens design.   The new lens does not appear to allow use of a filter while the lens hood is in place.  She and her camera shop have tried a number of different brands of filters, but none appear to allow the lens hood to be mounted while a filter is attached.  This seems to be a rather inexcusable design flaw on Canon's part.  When Canon technical support was contacted, no one appeared to know anything about the issue.  With the exception of this problem, she loves her new lens.  Has anyone else encountered this issue with this lens?

25 REPLIES 25

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have the lens but unless she wants to use a polarizer, filters are almost obsolete. I understand wanting to use a polarizer with the hood on would be an problem, though.

However, even a polarizer is becoming less and less relevant.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

How is using a polarizer less relevant than it ever was?

@ebiggs1 wrote:

However, even a polarizer is becoming less and less relevant.

I would not seek to respond for my respected colleague Ernie, but for me, the traditional uses of a polarizing filter were to darken the sky colours during the middle of the day in particular, intensify colours and reduce environmental reflections.   With the features now available in post-production software, the first two of those can be dealt to varying degrees with via software.  
Where the polarizing filter has still some relevance is where there are significant inherent reflections: such as looking down into an underwater scene, or where glass is reflecting back the light or other scene elements.

In the latter case, I was recently shooting researchers doing work at a university and needed to get a shot of a particular process that was taking place inside a protective plexiglass cubicle.  Without a CPL filter, this is what I got:
Amy's lab work - no CPLAmy's lab work - no CPL
Attaching a filter made all the difference:
Amy's work with CPLAmy's work with CPL
So, I think Ernie's position has some merit, if one is using the appropriate post production software and techniques, but as he said 'less relevant' I would hazard that he is allowing for such applications.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It's just this weird excuse making for bad decisions that kind of annoys me. This gear is pricey and they should solve the problems like using filters if someone wants. Unless we aren't supposed to be wasting our time with this gear in which case I'll just sell it all and give up.

Canon hoods are always black.  It appears you interpreted what I said about grey as referring to the hood, I was referring to the identifying ID, which is grey.

I appreciate that this is frustrating, however I maintain this is not a design issue, at worst, this particular hood is malformed or damaged.  No manufacturer can be blamed or the subject of conspiracy theories if no-one has reported it yet. I checked with stores, and everyone I know who has one, and none of these has any issue with putting the lens hood on with a filter.

It should be perfectly possible for your friend to be able to get this sorted and get a replacement hood without cost to them, if the hood is faulty.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"unless she wants to use a polarizer, filters are almost obsolete."

Mostly true with today's software, but add infrared filters to the needed filters list.  I'd be lost without the four IR filters I carry. 🙂

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

That's why I said "almost". However, even so the newest Photoshop can do amazing things to your photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your/Hers is the only mention I've heard of.  The lens accepts a 95mm filter.  I don't own one yet, but based appearance and documentation there isn't a reason why the 2 couldn't be used together.  You can put a lens cap on as well it you want to reach in there with your fingers or just turn the hood around and mount backwards.  I could see it being a problem if you were using a filter with a large or oversized frame/ring that changed the O.D. of the lens at its face. 

If you mean that the hood doesn't have a retractable hood slot for filter adjustment, then yes, this lens was not intended for use with that type of filter. Thats not a design flaw.  If you happen to find a post or reference about this on the web, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Worth noting, if you rent one from LensRentals, it comes fitted with a 95mm Hoya EVO filter and its hood.  

shadowsports_0-1712846673124.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, my friend is just trying to put a normal clear or UV filter on the lens.  None of brands of 95mm filters tried would allow the lens hood to be mounted after the filter was screwed into place.  My wife and I own many Canon lenses and have never before encountered this issue with any of them.  I am still awaiting an order for the RF 200-800 lens for my wife and was curious if anyone else had experienced this issue.  

Announcements