cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R compatibility with RF lenses

MDumas1974Canon
Apprentice

Hello and good morning Canon Community, I have a simple question that I am having a hard time getting answered, and I think I already know the answer to it. I want to purchase the Variable ND drop in adapter for my Canon R, However I currently own several expensive RF lenses and currently no EF lenses so my question is, with the adapter on can I still connect my RF lenses to my R thus utilizing the ND filters, as well as the Circular Poliarizer? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has a for sure answer on this, I simply want to know if I can put the adapter on my Canon R and connect my RF lenses to the adapter? Thank you for your time in reading this and I hope someone knows, if you cant that is a tragedy. From everything I have read it is an amazing system and I definitely would love to use it, especially on lenses with concave glass where you are unable to use ND filters...etc

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The short answer is no.  The RF/EF lens mount adapters can only be used with EF/EF-S lenses, not RF mount lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You should be able to get a holder so that you can use a gel with any lens:

https://cokinfilter.com/collections/holders

@kvbarkley wrote:

I second Cokin. It's a fairly hefty investment, as filters go, but well worth it. Just be sure to get enough adapters so each lens has one that fits. Hopefully, most of your lenses will take the same diameter so you will just need one for the bracket. I have a set that goes all the way back to our AE-1 program film days. My wife collected the filters, like CP, ND, and various gradient and colors that we still use today. Just my preference, but I would steer away from the variable type screwon NDs. I've found some IQ loss when experimenting with this type of ND setup. Yes, the individual filters are more expensive if you need several to stack, but IMO, well worth it, especially with the Cokin.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I second Cokin. It's a fairly hefty investment, as filters go, but well worth it. Just be sure to get enough adapters so each lens has one that fits. Hopefully, most of your lenses will take the same diameter so you will just need one for the bracket. I have a set that goes all the way back to our AE-1 program film days. My wife collected the filters, like CP, ND, and various gradient and colors that we still use today. Just my preference, but I would steer away from the variable type screwon NDs. I've found some IQ loss when experimenting with this type of ND setup. Yes, the individual filters are more expensive if you need several to stack, but IMO, well worth it, especially with the Cokin.

I would think that most people are using variable ND filters to shoot video, not stills.  The small loss of IQ is negligible. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I would think that most people are using variable ND filters to shoot video, not stills.  The small loss of IQ is negligible. 

And you would be correct in thinking that, thanks for pointing it out. I tend to look through the lens of a still photographer 🙂

ND filters, in general, help with the 180 degree rule and the VND filters are good for situations where the lighting is inconsistent, so you can dial in the density as apposed to changing plates (digging around in a case to get the right one). The later usually isn't a problem when on set, inside or out, when using a single plate.

"The small loss of IQ is negligible. "

Negligible hasn't been my experience, but we each have our own standards, good or bad 🙂 When I do need an ND filter, I prefer to shoot through one plate as apposed to several, or at least two, which you find in the VND filters.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

"Negligible hasn't been my experience, but we each have our own standards, good or bad Smiley Happy When I do need an ND filter, I prefer to shoot through one plate as apposed to several, or at least two, which you find in the VND filters."

There you go again, thinking like a photographer.  The IQ loss is negligible at HD video resolutions.  Can't speak for 4K video.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Negligible hasn't been my experience, but we each have our own standards, good or bad Smiley Happy When I do need an ND filter, I prefer to shoot through one plate as apposed to several, or at least two, which you find in the VND filters."

There you go again, thinking like a photographer.  The IQ loss is negligible at HD video resolutions.  Can't speak for 4K video.

LOL... You got me there Smiley LOL

MarkASteele
Apprentice

The fact that Canon makes a wonderful ND filter as well as a polarizer for the EF lenses and R Camera, but not for RF lenses is bizarre to me.  I don't understand why there is no support for this for the new lenses.  I would have thought these accessories would have make available first for the new lenses.  Are they ever going to be made?

I'm unsure what you're trying to say, but are you looking for THIS ? 

Announcements