cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 + Sigma 16mm focus problem

M_Per1308
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Canon camera, the M50 with the 15-45 mm kit lens. Additionally I also bought the 16mm Sigma f1.4 lens to use with it. I messed around with the kit lens first and everything seems to be working fine. However, when I changed to the Sigma lens the focus isn't working. I tried the manual focus, changing the settings on the camera and then rotating the focus ring on the lens but it didn't work. Then I tried the autofocus and it also didn't work. The lens is making some slight mechanical sounds as if it was trying to focus but it can't. I tried removing and attaching it again but that didn't work. I also cleaned the contacts but that also didn't work. Finally, I reset the camera to factory settings but this didn't solve the issue. I am thinking this might be a problem with the lens but I don't want to send it to get fixed under the warranty before making sure I am not making a rookie mistake. Anyone had a similar issue?

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the Canon lens works and the Sigma doesn't, the problem is the Sigma lens.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Was this all new gear?  If these items were purchased new, they should function out of the box. You should not be contemplating sending in for repair or warranty.  I'd be investigating return or exchange.

The vanilla M50 was released in 2018, so this is not clear.  Being that you are a new camera owner, I want to mention that the M series is being replaced by the R series and that your EF-M lenses will not be compatible with other bodies.  Just want to mention this in case you were unaware.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

On the other hand, it might be some time before you can get a lens like the Sigma for the RF mount, especially an RF-S version.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I also cleaned the contacts but that also didn't work."

Yeah that never works as you found out. The best alternative for you is to find someone with another M50 and try the Siggy on it. Perhaps a local camera store or a local photography club. You can't send it in for repair until you know it needs repair. They would simply send the exact same lens back to you with the exact same issue.

The M series is a dead end line. It never was very popular in the US so finding one might be a challenge but that is what I would do first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mindofmendoza
Apprentice

The same exact thing is happening to me. I’m not sure if my settings changed in the camera or what, but I haven’t changed anything and the pictures are very fuzzy.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well of course the best advice is to stick with Canon M series lenses but do a full reset of your camera. After that put the original lens back on and see if it works properly. If it does that should tell you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ I tried the manual focus, changing the settings on the camera and then rotating the focus ring on the lens but it didn't work  “

I believe the camera needs to be awake for the focus ring to work. That means the metering system needs to be activated and reading the exposure. Wake it up by half pressing the shutter. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements