cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon L Lens vs. Sigma ART Lens

amitsingh
Apprentice

Currently saving up for a new lens, and I'm debating between a L Lens and ART Lens.(any range between 20mm to 35mm or 85mm). I mostly shoot portraits, cityscape, landscape, portrait, and night photography. However, I want to hear y'all's experience with either one of these, just to get the idea.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have'em or had'em.  My advice as always stick with Canon brand unless they don't offer what you want or need.  The Siggy Art lenses are extremely sharp and if that is your goal that is a good reason. Still you need to choose by considering the entire package.  For instance, I sold my 50mm Siggy Art in favor of the Canon 50mm f1.2L. No it isn't as sharp but it is the better lens.  I kept the Siggy 35mm Art, however.

There are two Sigma lenses that Canon for some unknown reason doesn't offer or it seems doesn't want to make.  I use both of them almost daily at least weekly.  They are the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon EF and the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens for Canon.

There are some Sigma lenses I would avoid all together but there are some Canon lenses I would never buy, too.

As a general statement Canon's L line is still the best lenses made, period.  You should buy your lenses for a reason or need.  What is that reason or requirement?

Do you have a particular FL or lens in mind?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

haileyleah
Apprentice

Some people have had autofocus issues with the Art lenses. But I own the 35mm and the 50mm f/1.4 Art lenses and I love both. Neither ever misses focus on my 80D. 192.168.1.1 Though, they are a little slower to focus than my Canon L zoom lenses. That doesn't bother me shooting portraiture, though. And I personally prefer Sigma's colors and bokeh over Canon's for the 35 and 50 primes. 

" I own the 35mm and the 50mm f/1.4 Art lenses..." "...they are a little slower to focus than my Canon L zoom lenses."

When comparing lenses from different manufactures it is best to do so straight across. I.E. a 50mm to a 50mm. Not a prime vs a zoom.  It is probably not even a good comparison to judge a 50 vs a 85mm either. Regardless that they are both primes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements