cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EFS 18-55mm lens Fisheye Distortion

Demure
Apprentice

I have an Canon EFS 18-55mm lens that I am using as my workaday lens, but it has a really, really bad fisheye distortion. Is there an equivalent lens without this aberration?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They are typically much better than being reported as "severe fish-eye" -especially for an 18 mm lens.

Either you have a bad copy, or it is broken.

What camera do you have?

Exactly which version of the EF-S 18-55? There are three of them I think.

Can you post an image that shows the distortion?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They are typically much better than being reported as "severe fish-eye" -especially for an 18 mm lens.

Either you have a bad copy, or it is broken.

What camera do you have?

Exactly which version of the EF-S 18-55? There are three of them I think.

Can you post an image that shows the distortion?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Agree with my colleague, it is more likely damage to the lens.  If you want the best version of this lens you want the EF-S 18-55 IS STM version.  Alternatively, consider going to the EF-S 18-135 IS STM or USM lens, it's a really good unit.
If you want the top optic and deep pockets, get the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - it's regarded as the best lens of this range for APS-C sensor cameras, or another great unit is the 15-85 IS USM, brilliant optics and a wider field of view

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Don't mess with it. Use this opportunity to buy the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. It is a far better lens then any of the other 18-55mm counter parts. It will feel right at home for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Thera are NINE versions of the EF-S 18-55. It has been improved continuously since the first in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_18%E2%80%9355mm_lens

You can just get another, later model and go happily on your way for not much money. Even the newest one (November 2013) is available on the used market. I bought one recently, also having two 2007-2011 versions.

Announcements