cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6, no autofocus

Filip_Herrlin
Apprentice

Hi! I have two Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 lenses without working af. I've had the lenses for many years, but still like them and was wondering if something could be done? The aperture works, and i can clearly see it change while pressing the "see aperture" button under the lens. I can usually get a good focus on 17-24mm zoom, but struggle to get good focus when zoomed in more. It is focus hunting. 

I actually opened one of them up, because I looked it up and thought the sensor bar would be dirty. I found a small scratch, but I thought that it was fine. I also cleaned some of the contacts. When I had put everything together, nothing had changed. 

I am using a Canon 60D body, and the other lenses I have work good with this body, so I suspect that it is the lenses. I also would prefer if I can get ways to do it myself, since it would cost 150-200$ to get a repairshop to fix it. 

I'm thankful for any help!

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is unlikely you can fix them yourself. The mere fact you have to ask how is reason enough to state you shouldn't do it. Besides how and where to get the correct part  if you even know which one(s) is faulty. Your best go is to find and buy a good used EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 lens. They are not expensive at all, $50-$100 bucks, way below any reasonable repair cost.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I know that it would be easier to just buy another lens, but I would really like to learn more about how they work and try to fix it myself, even though that means that I have to spend a couple of hours disassembling it and reassembling it and a couple of dollars on spare parts. I have understood from the research I've done that this is a common error on these lenses, and would like to get some help or at least some ideas on what to do to fix it myself. Thanks though for answering! 

normadel
Authority
Authority

This lens, like all other electronic, autofocus, zoom lenses, is incredibly complicated to take apart and get back together if you're not a trained, properly equipped technician. Spare parts are a non-starter unless you have a working donor.

You can take your lens apart for fun to see what it's like inside, then buy a used lens with a warranty from a dealer. The big ones are UsedPhotoPro.com, MPB.com, KEH.com.

Okay, but if I would buy a new lens instead, I would like some recommendations on good ~20-60 lenses. Do you have any  recommendations for under 300$?

normadel
Authority
Authority

Don't know what you mean by "~20-60 lenses".   Focal length?  

I'd suggest an 18-55 as a reasonable good choice. Like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318282-REG/canon_ef_s_18_55mm_f_4_5_6_is.html

This is the latest EF-S 18-55 lens. I have two of them, and the previous. a 3.5 STM. You can find both used at MPB.com for $69.00 in excellent condition.  Forget about any 18-55 that's not STM.

Otherwise, if your camera takes EF-S lenses (presumably, because you have one), you can use ANY EF lens as well as EF-S. Explore the used dealers. There are many lenses available.

That is exactly what I meant with ~20-60. Thanks for the tips!

You would do well to take that advice and not waste time nor money on your broken lens. Take it apart if you must, you may learn something.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements