cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 IS III extender compatibility?

raylo11
Apprentice

I have the above mentioned lens.  Which extenders can be used with this lens?  I have found no articles that have information on this topic.  There are THREE versions of the 1.4X and 2.0X.  Can someone please let me know which versions work with this lens?  I would like to purchase one second hand and your help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@raylo11 wrote:

I have the above mentioned lens.  Which extenders can be used with this lens?  I have found no articles that have information on this topic.  There are THREE versions of the 1.4X and 2.0X.  Can someone please let me know which versions work with this lens?  I would like to purchase one second hand and your help would be greatly appreciated!

I have both the 1.4X and 2.0X Version III extenders as well as the 70-200 f/2.8L III lens.

All versions of the extenders will work with all versions of the lenses. The version III extenders have optimized communication capability with the latest versions of the super telephoto lens, claiming better AF tracking.

I ran some informal tests with my 1D X Mark III (only a 20MP sensor). I found that using the 1.4X and cropping to the same field of view as if I was using the 2X gave me equal or better results (never inferior) as using the 2.0 (and there isn't the f/stop penalty).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sadly this is something that Canon go out of their way to not talk about.  But if you download the manuals for the extenders, you might find the information there.  For example, get the manual for the EF1.4X III and EF2X III here: https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/ef_lenses/others_extenders_tilt-s...

In that manual you will find a table of compatible lenses.  Although the EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is there, sadly I don't see anu "III" lenses -- are they not compatible, or is the table just out of date?  I don't know.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Version II and III of the 1.4X and 2X will work with that lens, I suspect the original versions do also but I would go with the later version II or III.

However, I wouldn't bother with the 2X in any version because it turns an excellent lens into a mediocre lens.  It isn't terrible, but even with Canon's sharpest primes (I have the 200 f2, 300 f2.8, and 400 f2.8) it creates too much loss of sharpness and contrast for my taste.  The 1.4X is very usable but I would try before you buy with the 2X.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am in full agreement with Rodger but that is not surprising. I would not even consider the 2x tel-con on any lens. I currently own the 1.4 II tel-con and can say it works very well on the ef 70-200mm f2.8L lenses. I am not sue but I don't think I had the version II extender when I had my original ef 70-200mm f2.8L zoom but I don't see why it would not work on it.

IMHO, the only lenses where the 1.4x tel-con is a great idea is on one of the 70-200mm f2.8L zooms and I very much like it on the ef 300mm f4L lens. Any other uses, I can only say it is good, not great, on some and poor on most.

I have used it on my ef 400mm f5.6L and it is good or passable I guess but not great. On the excellent EF 500mm f/4L IS USM Lens, I love that lens, is good, not great, but passable. Sadly that said I use my Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens 95% of the time when I need or use a telephoto. I do have the Sigma 1.4x tel-con for it which again is OK, good, not great, but passable.

Go get the Canon 1.4x tel-con. You'll like it, I'm sure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree with Ernie that the 70-200 f2.8 is a great application for the 1.4X extender.  I shot some field sports with that combo before I moved to longer focal lengths and it did well and continued to focus very quickly.

I expect a lot of people skip the 1.4X and buy a 2X to get greater "reach" and end up with a disappointing setup while the 1.4X would have been a useful addition.  There MAY be a good application for the 2X but if there is, I have never found it.

Take the time to dial in the 1.4X plus lens combo with the microfocus adjustment in your camera and it will yield very nice results.  With the shallow depth of field, focus needs to be accurate.

ANY extender is going to reduce the IQ but using a very good lens with the 1.4X and applying proper photography technique will yield results acceptable to anyone but the most extreme "pixel peeper".

I recently picked up a Canon EF 200-400 f4 with integrated lever selectable 1.4X extender and it is going to see a lot of use on well illuminated playing fields.  Canon did a nice job of integrating the setup and it will replace the 400 f2.8 on my second body for daytime sports and well illuminated night sports; having a 200-400 native range with 280-560 f5.6 extender range makes it perfect for covering action over most of a soccer pitch.

There is some quality loss with the 1.4X extender but it is very acceptable as a lens combo.  These were shot earlier today with the EF 200-400 f4 extender lens and EOS 1DX Mark III body; the first image is at 400 f4 and the second at 560 f5.6 with the extender engaged.  Both are heavily cropped. (and on edit, the photo exif captions should read f4, 1/250, ISO 250 and f5.6, 1/250, ISO 500.  If there is a way to edit photo captions after posting, it isn't obvious to me!)

Rodger

400, f4, 1/20, ISO 250400, f4, 1/20, ISO 250560, f5.6, ISO 500560, f5.6, ISO 500

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@raylo11 wrote:

I have both the 1.4X and 2.0X Version III extenders as well as the 70-200 f/2.8L III lens.

All versions of the extenders will work with all versions of the lenses. The version III extenders have optimized communication capability with the latest versions of the super telephoto lens, claiming better AF tracking.

I ran some informal tests with my 1D X Mark III (only a 20MP sensor). I found that using the 1.4X and cropping to the same field of view as if I was using the 2X gave me equal or better results (never inferior) as using the 2.0 (and there isn't the f/stop penalty).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

raylo11
Apprentice

Just to be clear....If I purchase an EF 1.4X version 1, it will work with the 70-200mm version 3.  This is what you just stated?

Announcements