cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 24-104L pair with a R8 body

bslkam
Apprentice

I am a weekend photographer shooting mainly holiday pictures whether it is landscape, portrait and animal. I am using a 5D Mark 3 with a number of EF lenses such as  EF 24-105 F4L, and 70-200 F4L.  Now i am retired and thinking of selling the 5D and switching to a R8, a lighter full frame camera with the latest technology at lower $$.  I would like to use my existing EF lenses as resell value of these lenses arn't great with more people switching to RF lenses.   I understand these lenses would work with a RF adapter whether it is Canon or third party.  I have a few questions and would like to get advice on the followings:

1.  R8 is a light weight smaller camera, does it feel comfortable shooting when it is mounted with a 24-105 F4 /70-200 F4?  I need to carry it for a long road trip.

2.  I know this is a Canon run forum, but can someone give me a recommendation for a third party RF adapter as I am on a budget. 

3. I read in the forum that the RF 24-240 shoots very good images and is a bargain.  Should i sell all the EF lenses while somone still wants them and buy the RF 24-240.  I do mainly travel photography and a versatile lens would reduce the weight also.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Happy to hear of your desire to upgrade.  The R8 is a compact and very capable full-frame camera.  It's great for travel.  You will not go wrong pairing it with a RF24-240.  

Your other EF lenses are also very nice, and will compliment the R8 well.

One thing I would emphasize is don't skimp on the adapter.  The Canon brand adapter is worth every penny from a compatibility and performance perspective.  The 5D3 was also a great body in its day.  I think you would be doing yourself a disservice buying a third-party adapter for the new body.  Two things I will mention about the R8.  It's smaller than your 5D3, and it uses a smaller battery too.  You should plan on purchasing 1-3 extra batteries for it.  You'll want a couple of new memory cards too.  

If you're going to sell a lens, I'd probably sell the 70-200 to start.  Then budget for a RF 24-70, and ultimately sell the EF 24-105 when you are ready.  I wouldn't be in a big hurry to sell either if I didn't have to.  The market for used EF glass will remain for the foreseeable future.  If you want your lenses gone, you can send them to KEH, B&H or Adorama.  If you want a higher return you will have to sell them privately.  Good luck with the transition. I know you'll be very happy.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Happy to hear of your desire to upgrade.  The R8 is a compact and very capable full-frame camera.  It's great for travel.  You will not go wrong pairing it with a RF24-240.  

Your other EF lenses are also very nice, and will compliment the R8 well.

One thing I would emphasize is don't skimp on the adapter.  The Canon brand adapter is worth every penny from a compatibility and performance perspective.  The 5D3 was also a great body in its day.  I think you would be doing yourself a disservice buying a third-party adapter for the new body.  Two things I will mention about the R8.  It's smaller than your 5D3, and it uses a smaller battery too.  You should plan on purchasing 1-3 extra batteries for it.  You'll want a couple of new memory cards too.  

If you're going to sell a lens, I'd probably sell the 70-200 to start.  Then budget for a RF 24-70, and ultimately sell the EF 24-105 when you are ready.  I wouldn't be in a big hurry to sell either if I didn't have to.  The market for used EF glass will remain for the foreseeable future.  If you want your lenses gone, you can send them to KEH, B&H or Adorama.  If you want a higher return you will have to sell them privately.  Good luck with the transition. I know you'll be very happy.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am in agreement with the above. If possible or as soon as possible the best way forward is RF lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

bslkam
Apprentice

Thank you both for the advices.  I am more confident to make the upgrade now,  Given the price of the RF lenses I will  start with a Canon brand adapter to utilize my EF lenses.  I hope it does not feel too bulky when mounted on a R8 body.  Should i get the adapter with the control ring which would give me options to change the exposure/shutter speed?

Thank you!

Benjamin 

Announcements