cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D Compact Lens for Travel Recommendation

rogerdra
Apprentice

I am an amateur and would like to start using my camera for landscape photography when I travel. I have a Canon 80D with a Canon EF 24-105mm IS Lens. So far, I’ve only done portraits so it has served me well, but it’s too bulky for me to travel with. I’m looking for recommendations for lenses that weigh less and are compact enough for easy transport (plane carry on weight and size requirements in consideration). I’m alright with sacrificing some photo quality but being able to use the camera easily as I go takes priority (the best camera is the one that you’ll use and all that). Budget is not high, unfortunately (under 200 used if at all possible). Would appreciate advice!

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Look at the EF-S 18-135 STM lens.

Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM vs Canon EF-S 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS STM: What is the difference? (vers...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I agree. The EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens is my favorite on my EOS 80D. I also like the EF-S24mm f/2.8 STM for its close focus distance. I have even used both of those on my EOS R5 with an adapter.  The EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens is especially good for focus stacking/depth compositing.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

If you want compact, and if wide is fine, the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 is a small pancake lens, very lightweight and fun to use.  I loved that lens when I had my 80D.  While not L glass quality, the images were very nice, very sharp, even when enlarged.  

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

With out doubt if a single small lens is what you want the ef 35mm f2 would be my top choice. With the limitation of it has to be small the 35mil will offer an extremely versatile ability to capture a significantly wide range of subjects. Perhaps the ef 28mm f1.8 (used) could be another choice but I would get the 35mil myself.

I am not a fan of the pancakes so I would avoid any of them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

zakslm
Enthusiast

From my personal experience and preferences, I second the EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM. It’s a pancake lens, very small, very light, very and has impressive close focusing capabilities.  A used lens (from a reputable source) or refurbished lens from Canon is very reasonable. 

For landscapes and interiors you may wish to consider the EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM. It’s also very sharp and the zoom range is great for landscapes and interiors. It’s a bit larger and heavier and a tad longer than an 18-55 kit lens but as I said, it’s very sharp.

hope this helps. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

An EF-S 18-55 IS STM is compact and not expensive. There are two STMs...f/3.5-5.6 and the newest f/4-5.6 version, which is even shorter. I have both. Fast, quiet focusing. provide full-time manual focus without having to switch the lens to MF.  

Announcements