cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii flex cable ribbon problem again

llehmann
Enthusiast

I have a couple of these lenses and I do really love them. They are the work horse in my stable of glass.

That being said, this is the 3rd lens now that has failed with the ERR code communication problem. I have had this happen a couple times before so was able to trouble shoot the issue and know that its the flex cable ribbon that is bad inside the lens.

It will work perfectly as long as you shoot at 2.8 (the wide open aperture setting). As soon as you change it and the lens needs to change the aperture for a image, it fails. 

Now, this is the 3rd  time with 2 different lenses that I've had to send them in for this repair. It would seem to me that this is a defect in the lens and I should not hae to pay for it. Or... Canon needs to use better parts so this does not keep happing over and over again.

Yes I use the lenses a lot. And yes, they are out of the warranty period. That being said, they should step up and repair without quesion. The have to know that this is an issue with the lens. 

Anybody else experiencing the same issue with their Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii?

105 REPLIES 105

Gotcha... I thought you said that I don't work my lenses harder than you do. And, you were speaking from expericne with this particular lens and problem. 

As for the number of images I take and the amount of money I make... not sure how you think those two are related. Just more assumptions on your part on my business and expenses. 

It's been a good chat with you but I think things are much clearer now. 

Your experience with your business, different lenses and their particualar problems, plus shooting in film have nothing to do with what I am talking about. You're right... this is futile. 

Same click noise here. That's horrible

lopezmedrano
Apprentice
Hi IIehmann, I read this long thread about your issue with the Canon 24-70 f2.8L ii, I found it searching the web for this lens + err 01. Well I have a very similar situation to yours. I’m a wedding photographer and shoot around 2000 a week with this lens, I just picked up the lens from repair for the second time in a year! Close to $800 total for both repairs…
I asked the repair guy is he think it’ll happen again as I’m afraid it will and he said, by the amount of use you put in it it will happen again. So frustrated as it is optically great but as he said it is a design flaw. I don’t want to get a Sigma Art equivalent but I’m being forced to do it as I don’t want to pay for this repairs once or twice a year.
I see your last post was in March, I hope you still read this thread and let me know what you ended up doing.
I decided I’ll sell mine now that I just repaired it and get the Sigma. I was hoping to buy a new Canon from the latest make / batch but the repair guy told me it’s gonna be the same, design flaw, so painfully I’ll have to buy a different brand.

Just an update... I continue to get the error with the lens. Just gave up posting it over and over again. Back in April 2021, I made a trip to BHPhoto in NY and picked up a couple Canon R6's and lenses. Making the transition over to the new mirrorless world. 

I do use the adaptor for my stable of lenses. EF to RF adaptor... and continue to get errros from time to time but also have RF lenses that work perfectly. 

Don't rellay want to continue to deal with this issue and convince people that it's not me. I don't think most of the people in this thread use the lens as much as some of us do. Seems like those who do use it heavily... have the issue. 

Don't mean to be disrepectful to those of you who post and don't have the problem. But the main person posting against everything I said on this thread... doesn't use it much.  It's a great lens for light use I guess.... that's not me.

PS: and there he goes again... lots of opinions and not a lot of real world experience or use with it. Im done.

I ended up giving up on the lens after 3 errors and over $1,000 in repairs. Last time I repaired it and sold it afterwards. Same as you I used it for professional work around 2,000-3,000 photos per weekend documenting weddings. I actually asked one of my 2nd shooters that has the same lens if she has had problems with it and she did! Same problem so far only once, she's shoots around the same amount of photos per week.

In the end I bought the Sigma version which after using it for a couple months I really like it it is amazing not as others say, the only thing is that it is heavier which you can feel after a few hours but it compensates by having image stabilizer which is good for indoor reception at night.

I have considered moving to mirrorless but not ready, I still enjoy working with the 5D mkIV, I'll wait as long as possible.

Cheers!

tudorp
Apprentice

3 24-70 2.8II all with the same problem! Trash parts, poor chinese quality like the zoom rubbers to!

And , thousands upon thousands without it. Just sayin' both sides. 😉

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

NickMilak
Apprentice

I’m having this issue as well.... I’ve used this lens very often.... and have taken great care of it.  Somehow, it looks new.  However, this issue is a known one, obviously... and I just got a $400+ estimate on a repair for my 24-70 AFTER ordering a 28-70 F2 for my R3.  I’ve been shooting for about a decade professionally with canon, and this is unacceptable.  This should be on Canon.

PeeWee_S
Apprentice

My Dad has 3 that have failed. I have 2 that have failed. They were all purchased years apart and it is not the oldest ones failing first, it seems to be very random.

llehmann
Enthusiast

I just received another one of my 3 lenses back from repair. Im using them less and less as I'm slowly changing over to my R5 and R6 bodies with RF lenses. 

Been using my RF 15-35 F2.8 and RF 24-70 F2.8 mainly these days. Great lenses so far. 

Time will tell. 

SIde Note: I've been using my 2 EF 70-200 F2.8 lenses for probably 10 years without a single issue.

Announcements