cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying my first lenses for my R10.

edora19
Apprentice

Hi all, I need a quick sanity check. I'm shopping for my first non kit lenses, so far along with a EF to R adapter, I'm planing on buying a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III and a EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM. Does this make sense, I want to shoot travel photography and architecture.

Also I'm a bit confused as to how cropping works. To get the 35mm look I need something like 24mm right ?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EF 75-300mm is actually a kit lens.  It is included in the least expensive 2-Lens camera kits that Canon sells.  The image quality from the lens will not your R10 justice.  The EF-S 24mm is a much sharper lens, but it’s performance cannot keep up with the R10, either.

Why buy EF mount lenses?  If you do not have any lenses, then I can see the motive.  I recommend RF-S 18-45mm STM lens.  There is a much wider and affordable selection of Canon RF mount lenses than the internet would lead you to believe.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

While the advice given by Waddizzle is good, depending upon budget, I might do it differently.

As for the crop sensor, this has easy to read good information: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

I have the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM and it costs much less than the RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM, unless maybe the RF-S lens is included with the camera in a kit. The EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM is very capable, but if you already have the RF-S 18-45mm then I do not see the need for it. The EF-S 24mm is very small and light weight and has a short minimum focus distance. If you already have the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and wish to save money, then that can be used with the Kenko Teleplus HD C-AF 2X DGX teleconverter to get 500mm, else I have read that the RF-S 55-210mm f/5-7.1 IS STM is very capable.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does this make sense, ..."

No it does not. Buying any EF lens for a new R series camera is not a good idea.

"I want to shoot travel photography and architecture."

There is a promising new lens for the R series the RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM that just might fill the bill for you. At any rate check out RF lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Edora19,

Great information thus far.

This article full frame vs APS-C is a lighter read and really just focuses (no pun intended) on the difference between the 2 sensor types.

APS-C vs full-frame - Canon Europe (canon-europe.com)

If possible, I would suggest sticking with RF or RF-S mount lenses for your new camera.  These are specifically intended for your R10.

Teleconverters and lens adapters.  While its possible to adapt older EF / EF-S lenses, I would not invest further in them as they are not the native lens mount for your camera.  3rd party products - while available, I would also not recommend them.  Why?  Primarily due to compatibility concerns.  Canon products are manufactured to very high standards.  User experience is also a big part of this.  Saving a few bucks doesn't always end well.  Maybe things fit together, but do not always work well.  

We understand budget.  Sometimes you have to make decisions that might not be recommended or best.  However, we will always try to make recommendations that ensure the best outcome and user experience when possible.

One lens I would absolutely not consider.  The EF 75-300 (any variant I, II or III)  This lens will not do your R10 any justice.  It is inexpensive for a reason.  

Let's step back a moment.  Please tell us what lens(es) you currently own?

What type of photography do you enjoy or plan to do most?  Indoor / outdoor.  Wildlife, Landscapes, etc?

Last, do you have a budget you want to work in?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements