cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying lenses from eBay Japan - Did you have to pay any USA customs/import fees?

FM3AAR
Contributor

For those of you who have bought eBay lenses from Japan, did you incur any USA customs fees/duties/delays etc?

The ads typically say: "Expedited Shipping from outside US | See details
International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges."

I've been reading all manor of responses on USA import duties etc. So I thought I would ask the folks here who have actually

bought an eBay lens from Japan if you were charged an import duty fee? Was the experience seamless?

For what it's worth, I was looking at a $600.00 Canon lens on eBay from Japan.   Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I think old gear was not mentioned until after I posted."

Hmmm, I realized it right off.  No problem but maybe I try harder!  Smiley Wink

You're more powerful than The Amazing Kreskin!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"You're more powerful than The Amazing Kreskin!"

Nah, I wouldn't go that far. It's more a lifetime of doing photography.  Likely the difference between book learning and actual hands on work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Nah, I wouldn't go that far. It's more a lifetime of doing photography.  Likely the difference between book learning and actual hands on work.

It's been my experience that nothing exposes the value of book learning more than actual hands-on work.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"It's been my experience that nothing exposes the value of book learning more than actual hands-on work"

So true Robert.  Experience is the best teacher.  Books, Youtube, etc, and reviews can only take you so far.  At some point you need practical experience. It is easy to spot.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It's been my experience that nothing exposes the value of book learning more than actual hands-on work"

So true Robert.  Experience is the best teacher.  Books, Youtube, etc, and reviews can only take you so far.  At some point you need practical experience. It is easy to spot.

I don't disagree, but that wasn't quite my point - which was that book learning can give you an important head start in the real world. And sometimes help you avoid expensive and embarrassing rookie mistakes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Nah, I wouldn't go that far. It's more a lifetime of doing photography. Likely the difference between book learning and actual hands on work.

————————-

I had suspected the same. That’s why I had asked what type of lens

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Unless you are getting the deal of the century on an expensive lens, >$5000, I still do not advise buying a used lens, sight unseen, from the other side of the planet for $600.

PayPal guarantee or not, it is not worth the risk or hassle of a return.

" I still do not advise buying a used lens,..."

Which is fine but that's just you. Some of these older lenses are where you find them. My experience, although not lenses, with the parts and some tools has been uneventful.  I see no reason why a lens would be any different.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I still do not advise buying a used lens,..."

Which is fine but that's just you. Some of these older lenses are where you find them. My experience, although not lenses, with the parts and some tools has been uneventful.  I see no reason why a lens would be any different.

Once again, you're taking words completely out of context, and applying your own meaning to them.  You left out the "sight unseen" part.  You also left out "from the other side of the planet" part, too.

In conclusion, it is apparent that you would buy a used lens, sight unseen from the other side of the planet.  

"In conclusion, it is apparent that you would buy a used lens, sight unseen from the other side of the planet."

Well blow me over with a feather.  Guilty as charged.  If I wanted it, I would buy it.

EB
Announcements