cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying lenses from eBay Japan - Did you have to pay any USA customs/import fees?

FM3AAR
Contributor

For those of you who have bought eBay lenses from Japan, did you incur any USA customs fees/duties/delays etc?

The ads typically say: "Expedited Shipping from outside US | See details
International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges."

I've been reading all manor of responses on USA import duties etc. So I thought I would ask the folks here who have actually

bought an eBay lens from Japan if you were charged an import duty fee? Was the experience seamless?

For what it's worth, I was looking at a $600.00 Canon lens on eBay from Japan.   Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have never bought an eBay lens from Japan, and I do not recommend that you do so, either.  I assume that the lens is used, so I suggest looking into US vendors of used camera gear.  

I think you are correct to assume that there may be custom fees, and duties, sa well as taxes and tariffs.  By the the time you throw in shipping costs it may be less costly bo buy a new lens from a US dealer.

BTW, what is a "600.00 Canon lens", anyway?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have not purchased a lens from another country but I have bought parts for various projects I am working on from Japan and China.  Except for a very slow shipping time I could not tell the difference from buying the item from any other source. 

Submit the order on eBay, use Paypal and in a few weeks the part shows up. No biggie.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Upon further reading looks like anything under 2K is pretty much is duty free.

These older used fast Canon lenses work out great in astrophotography.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards, C

Ray-uk
Whiz

If the USA customs works similar to the UK then it depends on the value of the item.

The sender has to complete a customs declaration form which is attached to the package, this states the contents and value, if the value is above a certain limit then you get charged import duty. This additional fee may be collected by the carrier and is payable before delivery or collected separately by the customs directly from you.

I have had a few things from abroad where I expected to have to pay but wasn't charged and I have had other things of quite low value when I have been charged, so it all seems a bit flexible.

"... if the value is above a certain limit then you get charged import duty."

I have no idea what that value would be or if it even exists in the US.  I have never been charged anything extra on parts.  Some of which were fairly expensive.  Countries have trade agreements with other countries so I suppose it depends on that.

Europe is screwed up with all their tax structure, the US isn't ........yet.

EB

... one factor to consider, which is why I recommend sticking with a domestic dealer, is getting our gear repaired.  Canon USA may not fix gear bought in Japan, or other foreign countries.  Just saying.

"Canon USA may not fix gear bought in Japan, or other foreign countries."

It is highly unlikely anyone buying old used lenses form Japan is worried about Canon USA repairing it.   "Just saying."  Smiley Happy

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
"Canon USA may not fix gear bought in Japan, or other foreign countries."

It is highly unlikely anyone buying old used lenses form Japan is worried about Canon USA repairing it. "Just saying." Smiley Happy

———————————

I think old gear was not mentioned until after I posted. Nice try.

"I think old gear was not mentioned until after I posted."

Hmmm, I realized it right off.  No problem but maybe I try harder!  Smiley Wink

EB
Announcements