cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way To Set Focus on Infinity?

wchettel
Enthusiast

I am using a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 with a Canon EF-S18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. Is there an easy way to set the focus on infinity when I'm using MF mode on the lens? I just want to set it and forget it.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

" I just want to set it and forget it."  " I occasionally like to take pics of the moon and stars ..."

That is one way to shoot nighttime stars. Set the lens to MF.  Use the widest aperture.  Focus in the day time on something you can see that is very far away and put a small piece of tape on the focus ring.  In the dark use your Liveview option to focus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Ray-uk wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I think you meant to say, "A red light works only in an ortho darkroom."

Ah, but you can use a red light when processing colour prints, I know that because they do it in films and on TV Smiley LOL

My father had a safelight that consisted of a wooden box with an orange glass panel on one side. I don't think I knew what it was designed for, but I used it when making B&W prints. It never caused a problem that I can recall. I tried to keep it as far as possible from the enlarger; but my "darkroom" doubled as a coat closet, so my options were limited.

What does all of this red dot / red light discussion have to do with my original question? Why don't you guys start your own thread about red dots and red lights? Smiley Indifferent

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

It has to do with focusing on the sky at night.

Yes it does just expanded info. Smiley Happy

EB

" I don't know about you, but it sure reminds me of how old I am."

I corrected my screw up Robert, thanx for the eagle eye!  This happens because we are getting old, very old indeed. Smiley Wink  I still have my stone tools to tap out photos on sandstone and paint for cave walls.  Talk about poor lighting conditions!

EB

"... the Brownie cameras with a red plastic button in the back ..."

I doubt that little red window would be sufficient to protect with today's modern films.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... the Brownie cameras with a red plastic button in the back ..."

I doubt that little red window would be sufficient to protect with today's modern films.

because "today's modern" films would be panchromatic.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" I just want to set it and forget it."  " I occasionally like to take pics of the moon and stars ..."

That is one way to shoot nighttime stars. Set the lens to MF.  Use the widest aperture.  Focus in the day time on something you can see that is very far away and put a small piece of tape on the focus ring.  In the dark use your Liveview option to focus.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Look into what lens bands do. They are big rubber bands that go on a lens to prevent zoom ring creeping. I guess they could lock a focus ring down, too.

Be aware that focus may drift as temperature changes. I think it is best to focus on a bright star, instead of the Moon.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
Look into what lens bands do. They are big rubber bands that go on a lens to prevent zoom ring creeping. I guess they could lock a focus ring down, too.

Be aware that focus may drift as temperature changes. I think it is best to focus on a bright star, instead of the Moon.

I would think that a point source with a tendency to flicker ("Twinkle, twinkle, little star ...") would be harder to focus on than the Moon.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I would think that a point source with a tendency to flicker ("Twinkle, twinkle, little star ...") would be harder to focus on than the Moon.

I agree.  It would probably be easier to focus on the Moon than a bright star.  But, that's the whole point.  Besides, if I were photographing images of the night sky, I don't think I would be doing so on a night with the Moon in the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements