cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A canon 50mm 1.0 RF? maybe a 4 blade aperture option too?

zekrom11
Apprentice

As a college student in Houston, Texas, wedding videography gigs have been pursued by me while studying. The Canon T3i marked my entry into videography, and currently, a 90D and R5c with a 28-70mm f/2 lens  While the current setup is appreciated, I can't help but reminisce about my time using the Soviet Zenitar ME-1 50mm f/1.7 lens with my 90D for four years. It's a manual film-era lens with a distinctive 4-blade aperture, creating those charming square bokehs that I truly adore. This feature was especially handy during night shoots, complementing the 90D's pro APS-C capabilities.

Now in search of a new 50mm autofocus lens for the R5c, I recall about Canon's legendary EF 50mm f/1.0, a lens of during the EF mount transition. Understanding the need for fast lenses in the past due to low film ISO, it's acknowledged that modern ISO compensates for this limitation. Yet, reintroducing the 50mm f/1.0 as an RF lens is would be a nice and neat lens to offer. However, I believe reintroducing the 50mm f/1.0 as an RF lens would be a fantastic addition. Canon could steal the spotlight by offering the f/1.0 alongside f/1.2 and f/1.8 options. Launching this trio alongside the R1 or R5 Mark II would be a savvy marketing move. Imagine pairing the R1 flagship body with a flagship 50mm f/1.0 lens—it would make for an incredible poster!

Alternatively, I'd also love to see a Canon 50mm lens with a 4-blade aperture, allowing for that square bokeh effect even at f/1.0. Or at the very least, a 4-bladed 50mm f/1.2 would leave me quite satisfied.

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Who knows? 🤔

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

We are only users. If you really want Canon to see this, use the official feedback form

On the Canon USA page:

Feedback.jpg

Don't hold your breath. Canon does not release official lens roadmaps, so you won't know if this will appear until rumored or announced.

Announcements