cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm 1.8 ii repair cost

AJB3000
Contributor

The other day, I drop my 50mm 1.8 ii lens and it broke. The lens itself still works but I'm not able to get it to focus. So I need to know if it is fixable and how much it would cost roughly. I've included a picture for reference 

1000008027.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

No one has actually answered my question and you're just being a snob about it. Instead of giving me an answer. I don't want to know what else is out there I'm looking for a price and no one has given that to me

It is simply that no one repairs these older lenses any more.  That is why we cannot give you a price. Best suggestion is take it to a local camera store and see if anyone is willing to give it a try. You might find someone willing to attempt it if you try that... but they would have to give you the price estimate.  I'm sorry but that is the best answer we can give here.  I do wish you luck! 

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

There ain't no pleasing you, AJB. Maybe the reason you aren't getting the answer you want is because there IS NO GOOD ANSWER to what you want (if we can even figure out what you want).

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I don't think the community members gives quotes. Contact Canon or an authorized service center. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new lens. Example: Several years ago, I had a Point & Shoot camera that wouldn't focus. Called a camera shop. They knew exactly what was wrong; repair was $100, camera cost $84.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

These are the "current" 50mm f/1.8 lenses:

It'd be super helpful to know which one you have.

EF 50mm 1.8 ii

Cool. We no longer repair that unit, nor have parts to repair it. Rather than spend the money to have a third party shop fix it, I'd seriously consider taking a look at the newer model - you may be able to go to a shop locally and try it out. My local Best Buy has it on display. That way you can see that the optics have been improved quite a bit. I have both the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and the STM version. I prefer the STM version. It performs better in low light AND has a metal mount (instead of the plastic mount on the older version). that's just my 2 cents. 😊

Good suggestion about the newer lens, but if the person is on a budget (which may be the case since they are asking about getting this repaired), I would add that a lot of reputable camera shops often sells used gear that was traded in when someone was buying new Canon gear.  Our local store does that, and tests the gear before they take it in trade.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

I love that idea! 

This is the oldest one: 

EOL=End of Life

Announcements