cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX710 blue tank is empty, but only want to print in Grayscale

BLW
Apprentice

Canon MX710. Have tried suggestions but non has worked, Any others?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi BLW,

The PIXMA MX712 will use color ink tanks to print colored text.  Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MX712X will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black.  This is why your color ink are being used.

To use only the black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi BLW,

The PIXMA MX710 must have all ink tanks installed and they all must contain ink.  If you attempt to print with no ink or an empty ink, you would risk damaging the printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Patrick. Since I never print in colour, coud I fill blue, and other tanks, with black ink?

Thanks.....Brian

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

You cannot install black tanks in the color slots.  Additionally, we cannot advise that the tanks are manually refilled or used with third party inks. 

If you need additional assistance, find more help at Contact Us.

Hello Michael.

Thanks. I do have a concern though. As I said previously, I do not print in colour, yet the colour tanks have become empty. Why is this and how can I avoid this problem going forward.  Thanks again.......Brian

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi BLW,

The PIXMA MX712 will use color ink tanks to print colored text.  Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MX712X will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black.  This is why your color ink are being used.

To use only the black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Announcements