cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Windows10; now the shortcuts and links to my PIXMA MG3620 Wireless printer don't work.

negronev
Apprentice

Last night I Upgraded to Windows10, from Windows 8.1; now the shortcuts and links to my PIXMA MG3620 Wireless printer don't work. I can access the printer if I search for it, print a test page, etc., but the actual Canon Menu no longer displays for all the things it can do. It left the shortcut on the desktop, but when I click on it it doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The software available at the time you installed the printer (W8.1) is different from what is available today.  Many peripherals (example printers) do not always continue to work properly after an OS upgrade, especially when the new OS has a different architecture. Desktop shortcuts can be recreated easily.  However, you might get better and more reliable performance from its software and the device by reinstalling it using software that was written for the OS you are running, not what worked with an earlier OS. 

I'd remove the device from Control Panel > Device and Printers.  Then remove the driver and any installed applications from Control Panel > Programs and Features applet.  Now restart the PC.

Visit the support portal for your 3620.  Download the Windows 10 driver and option programs you want and reinstall the device. You'll also get new "working" desktop and start menu shortcuts without having to hunt for the executables in their respective folders under Program Files.   

Canon Support for PIXMA MG3620 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The software available at the time you installed the printer (W8.1) is different from what is available today.  Many peripherals (example printers) do not always continue to work properly after an OS upgrade, especially when the new OS has a different architecture. Desktop shortcuts can be recreated easily.  However, you might get better and more reliable performance from its software and the device by reinstalling it using software that was written for the OS you are running, not what worked with an earlier OS. 

I'd remove the device from Control Panel > Device and Printers.  Then remove the driver and any installed applications from Control Panel > Programs and Features applet.  Now restart the PC.

Visit the support portal for your 3620.  Download the Windows 10 driver and option programs you want and reinstall the device. You'll also get new "working" desktop and start menu shortcuts without having to hunt for the executables in their respective folders under Program Files.   

Canon Support for PIXMA MG3620 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements