cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS8220 Cannot scan "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" MacOS Catalina

circusboy
Contributor

Using MacOS Catalina (10.15.6) the TS8220 prints correctly, but attempting to scan gives "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)". The TS8220 has current firmware (1.010), is in same room 3' from router and 8' from iMac, on same 2G network.The scanner previously worked before upgrade to Catalina.

• Using MacOS System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners the "Print" connects and can open print queue and show supply levels etc.
  • The "Scan" Open Scanner gives the "failed to open a connection..." error.
  • I have tried both MacOS Image Capture and Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite.
    • MacOS gives the "failed..." error
    • IJ Scan gives "Cannot communicate with scanner..."
  • I do not have a USB cable long enough to connect directly (and need to use wifi scanning)

Suggestions what else to try or is there already a solution?? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello.

Try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve this issue:

1.  Go to the Home menu or press the Home button.
2.  Select the Setup icon.  This icon looks like a gear.
3.  Select Device Settings.
4.  Select LAN Settings.
5.  Select Wi-Fi.
7.  Select Settings.
8.  Select Advanced.
9.  Select TCP/IP settings.
10. Select IPv6.  If you see a Yes or No question, choose Yes.
11. Select Enable/disable IPv6.
12. Choose Disable.

13. Once this has been done, turn the printer off and back on.

Next, close any applications that are open on the Mac and perform the following:

1.  Click the Apple and choose System Preferences.  Then open the Printer and Scanners menu.
2.  Highlight and delete any copies of the Canon Printer listed on the left by clicking the minus (-) sign.
3.  Click the plus (+) sign and look for an option that says "Add printer or scanner".  Click this option when you see it.
4.  In the next window, click Default on the upper left corner.  Wait a few moments, then highlight the Bonjour version of the printer.   

5.  Click Add at the bottom when it becomes available.

Once the printer has been added, try accessing the "scan" tab in system preferences and see if the scanner can be opened.  If the error persists, we would have to advise that you contact Apple to determine why the AirPrint scanner cannot be accessed, or scan from a different Mac/Windows computer or from an iOS/Android device with the Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

I have had no luck, Mac OS 10.15.7, Canon TR 8520.  Scanning has not worked for me for several months now.  iP6 is off on my mac.  I can't see anyway to adjust it on the printer.

Thank you for any help you can provide, I'm pulling my hair out over this...

I would like to share my exprience with a similar printer, the TS8340 which comes with the same connectivity issue on Catalina 15.0.7

For the "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" error, the fix was to configure my wifi network with IPv6 protocol.

My wifi settings was configured with Ipv4 only, it seems the printer communicates only with your mac with UPv6 enable

Click on the WiFi icon -> Open network preferences -> Wifi -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6: Automatically

Canon IJ scan utility work now along with Apple image capture.

The trick for me was to therefore enable Ipv6

Hope that would hep. 

This fix worked for me with my MacOS Catalina and a TR8620a.  From what I gather reading these replies, either you need to enable IPV6 on your computer or turn it off on the printer.

Hi There,

I have the same issue, with the same error code but with a TR7520. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread with no luck. Open to any suggestions. It has been a 3 hour adventure trying to figure this out today.

I had exactly the same issue with a PIXMA G4210 after an automatic Mac OS update from BigSur 11.3 to 11.4. I lost the ability to scan over AirPrint/WiFi, even though I could print using AirPrint. Neither the Scan function in the installed FAX in Printers & Scanners, nor Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite recognized the scanner.

I searched the web several times using the error codes: "jp.co.canon.ij.scanutilitylite.icadriver error 1020416", and "failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)". Finally through a Google search I found this page, and because one of the error codes matched, I thought I'd give the proposed solutions a try, even though they were for a different Canon printer and Mac OS!

The only solution that worked for me was the last one suggested: turning off IPv6. I don't believe I ever turned it on, but perhaps it is enabled by default, and the Mac OS has changed the default connection mode to the G4210 from IPv4 to IPv6 with this system update.

I registered just to SAY THANK YOU. a thousand times. Been searching the internet for the past 4 hours (no kidding). Your solution works, the only one!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I had the same problem, but with a TR8550, and this solution worked for me as well. Well done!

Thank you Michael. I've tried so many different things. This was it. Replying so more people find it.

I should note that I have a TR8520.

@Michael wrote:

Hello.

Try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve this issue:

1.  Go to the Home menu or press the Home button.
2.  Select the Setup icon.  This icon looks like a gear.
3.  Select Device Settings.
4.  Select LAN Settings.
5.  Select Wi-Fi.
7.  Select Settings.
8.  Select Advanced.
9.  Select TCP/IP settings.
10. Select IPv6.  If you see a Yes or No question, choose Yes.
11. Select Enable/disable IPv6.
12. Choose Disable.

13. Once this has been done, turn the printer off and back on.

Next, close any applications that are open on the Mac and perform the following:

1.  Click the Apple and choose System Preferences.  Then open the Printer and Scanners menu.
2.  Highlight and delete any copies of the Canon Printer listed on the left by clicking the minus (-) sign.
3.  Click the plus (+) sign and look for an option that says "Add printer or scanner".  Click this option when you see it.
4.  In the next window, click Default on the upper left corner.  Wait a few moments, then highlight the Bonjour version of the printer.   

5.  Click Add at the bottom when it becomes available.

Once the printer has been added, try accessing the "scan" tab in system preferences and see if the scanner can be opened.  If the error persists, we would have to advise that you contact Apple to determine why the AirPrint scanner cannot be accessed, or scan from a different Mac/Windows computer or from an iOS/Android device with the Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app.

Hi,

I have a Canon TR8550 and have had the same problem as everyone else in these listings. My problems started with Catalina and continue with macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 

Printing works fine, although the Canon IJ Network Utility doesn't find my TR8550 as has been previously mentioned. I can also print from my iPhone and iPad without issue.

When I attempt to open the Scanner in the macOS utility I get the "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" error message.

Attempting to scan from the Canon Quick Start menu initiates the Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite, but it can't find anything and automatically closes.

I have tried both IP4 & IP6 settings on wired and wireless configurations as per this and other threads on both my MACBook and the TR8550, deleted all instances of the TR8550, removed the Canon software, rebooted all devices, including the router re-installed the Canon software and added the TR8550 back in and continue to produce the same error.

The must be some checkbox/protocal somewhere that is stopping the MACBook connecting to the scanner, but it's beyond me. I would really appreciate any help folk could offer.

BTW: I also have a Windows 10 laptop on which I've installed the Canon software and it connects to the printer and scanner fine over wired LAN and works perfectly...

Many thanks

Announcements