cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning without using cartridge -- MP640?

genegold
Apprentice

I have a PIXMA MP640. Does the "Canon PIXMA Printer Scanner Without Ink Cartridges" apply to my machine (link below)? I don't find a list. How does one tell if the cartridge is being used or not in scanning? I used the press and hold Stop button for 5 seconds method. Does this have to be done for every scan, once for every printer On session (always on here), each time the machine is turned on, or ...?

https://www.canondriver-software.com/canon-pixma-printer-scanner-without-ink-cartridges/

4 REPLIES 4

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Genegold,

Depending on the model, the remaining ink volume screen on the display will show up gray if the remaining ink level detector is disabled.

If the error comes comes back after completing the first scan, then I would recommend repeating the steps when you scan again. I would highly recommend, replacing the ink cartridges so you can clear the ink error. 

If you are unable to locate ink or need to replace the printer since it is out of service life, then you would qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase. 

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Mon-Sat, 9 AM to 9pm EST excluding holidays. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Don't see any greying of the ink information. In the current PIXMA models, what would be the closest to the MP640?

Since posting yesterday, I've now received two emails, one yesterday and one today, notifying me of a new reply. I don't see any.

Danny

Thanks for being active in our community! We're happy to share that it's possible to scan with an empty ink tank or cartridge. To start scanning, follow the instructions at this link.

Announcements