cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing from Chromebook to MX920 on January 1, 2021

Christopher15
Apprentice

I have an issue that I see referenced here and there on the Community Forums and in my Google searches.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine a Canon supported solution or a workaround. 

I use Google Cloud Print Services to print from my Chromebook running standard ChromeOS to my MX920 printer.  The Google Cloud Print Service is end of life in December of 2020.  

There doesn't seem to be a supported way from Canon to print directly from my Chromebook to my printer.  I tried a few different things, including downloading Canon Print Service to my Chromebook like I did on my phone, but no luck - Not supported.  I tried mapping directly to my printer, but print drivers are non-existent.  

So, I ask the following to this Comminuty Forum, maybe hopping someone from Canon support reads it to answer this question, officially.... (I ask here because I truly cannot find another way to write to the company).

Does anyone know if Canon will be providing an update to their print service app or ChromeOS drivers so I can print from my Chromebook to my MX920 on January 1, 2021, or do I need to buy a new printer?..  Which will most likely be a non-Canon device because, in my opinion, to be one month out on connectivty between two devices that have a huge adoption level around the world for a company like Canon seems like silliness.  I mean, I have a Chromebook and a Canon printers.  How can these no easily work together?!?!  

Maybe I'm missing something.  Would like for any input from the community.  Thanks all!

17 REPLIES 17

moocow
Apprentice

This sucks!  Apparently no way to print to this thing from chrome.

Just amazing the lack of postings anywhere about this. Maybe Canon isn't as big as I thought. Samsung (the manaufacturer of the Chromebook) passes the problem to Google...Google passes it to Canon. And yet, no comments from Canon customers, who seem to have no concern that they have an expensive (in some cases) printer that will no print from a Chromebook. Canon has not, in my case anyway, suggested any Canon printer that WILL print from a Chromebook. Not only does it suck, but it seems like a really poor business customer service issue, whoever's fault this may be.

MaganiaSoulHrt
Apprentice

Hello everyone! I have no idea if this topic is still relevant but there was a similar topic here that was asking about this issue, and the amazing user mc2021 made a PPD that works for chromebooks! You can search up "Canon MX922 PPD" on r/chromeos for the file. Just spreading the word 😄

Edit: typo

Thank you so much for sharing this! I can confirm it worked for my MX922. I had given up hope and resorted to finding awkward ways to send files to my iPhone for air printing.

I'm having the same issue with my Canon Imageclass MF244dw not working with my chromebook.  Says I need a PPD file.  So frustrated!

Can you assist me in finding this? I cant locate it

I think the one you are referring to was on the REDDIT site a while back...it took me a long time tweaking the settingss, but it now works for me (after over 6 months! Ridiculous...but I won't go on about that). I dont know if I'm allowed to post a link to the item, but I'll try below. The link below will give you a link to a dropbox file...download both files listed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/mnet0q/i_made_a_canon_mx922_ppd_file_that_works_on/

Re: My above posting...as of 10/15, this no longer works on my Canon 922 with the file listed in this thread. After it is set up, the Chromebook willl not recognze the printer in the PRINT screen, and only shows  IPP/CUPPS as the printing option.

Announcements