cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print makes me download first - Canon PIXMA TR8520

aly6
Apprentice

Hi, this question has been asked but I have not seen an answer that works for me.

I have a MacBook Air - Ventura OS.  I have a Canon TR8520.

A few months ago I printed a file to pdf.  Ever since then whenever I try to print an attachment from an email (Safari & Google) it brings up the Save-As option and I have to save and then open the attachment to print.  It used to just print it.  

I have removed the printer, reset printer settings, rebooted and re-added the printer and it does not fix it.

I have gone into settings - security and the pdf option is set to open, not download.

At my wits end. 😩

Anybody have a fix for this?

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Both Windows and MAC allow you to select the destination when printing or saving a document.  The computer will remember the last used target or device.  If it was save to PDF, this will be selected, but you can easily change it.  

This is windows, but MAC works the same essentially.

Here I am selecting Print to PDF

shadowsports_0-1700006109333.png

Or I can scroll down and select one of our ImageRunners as a destination.

shadowsports_2-1700006537716.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

aly6
Apprentice

So, it doesn't let me do that.  I am in my Yahoo email or Google email in either Safari or Google browser.  I choose an email and click on an attachment.  The attachment shows to the right.  I click on the print icon and immediately the save box pops up.  It does not give me any other option. In the picture, you can see the email on the left.  The right pane shows the pdf that is attached in the email.  The arrow shows the print icon that I click to print upon which I immediately get the pop up screen requiring me to save the document.  It used to come up with the print dialog box.Example won't print.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

What are the file type(s) of the attachments, PDF's?

What is that Canon_IJ listing under locations in the Nav Pane on Finder?

Are you opening your email in a browser or email client.  chrome, Safari, Mac Mail?

You can preview the file and use Command+P to open a print dialog.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

aly6
Apprentice

pdf's

The Canon_IJ on the left is just there because i reinstalled the printer. The same thing happens whether it is there or not.

opening in a browser - it happens in safari and Chrome

If I do command-p it wants to print the entire web page, not the pdf.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You have to open the file first before you can use Command+P to print.  

Chrome supports opening .PDF files natively.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

aly6
Apprentice

I have to download the file in order to open it.  I know I can print it once I open it.  The issue is that it won't let me open it without downloading it first.

Thank you for trying to help.  With more searching it looks like this is something that just isn't fixable.

WILLIM
Enthusiast

I don't think this issue has anything to do with the printer.

You can try setting up a Mac system to solve the problem.

Or reset the system

Announcements