cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

Alewis
Apprentice

Was hoping to find some help here but it would seem this condition is a "programmed failure" designed to put money into someones pocket.  Time for a new printer I guess and DEFINATELY NOT another canon.  Brother has some nice units.

azawesome
Apprentice

Add mine to the list! Smiley Sad

So after leaving the unresponsive printer unplugged for 24 hrs I tried to plug in and turn on, I got a B200 error, so I read another forum on here about that error. A person said to follow these steps:

"Here is what worked for me: 1. Turn OFF Power 2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks) 3. Turn ON power 4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way 5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover. 6. Leave the Printer turned on 7. Good to go. It took 2 attempts before it worked. Some people said it took 3-4 attempts. Now, prior to this, I did clean the pads the cartridges sit on and used a qtip to wipe the encoder strip. I`m not sure if it was the combination of those things or just doing the fix."

This actaully worked for me without any cleaning 🙂

Yes, that method worked for me for 2 days, then the printer completely died.  Don't be surprised when your Canon won't power back on.

AhadB
Apprentice

I bought this printer (Canon  MX890 ) about two years ago and I use only once a week or once from every two weeks for not more than 3 pages of printing at a time. This morning I noticed that the printer is OFF and tried anything to turn it back on ( Including the instruction by Canon online ) , but it does not turn on. I believe there is a fundumental problem with their Power Supplies and they are not saying it. Not happy. 

rcslusser
Apprentice

Yup another dead MX892 here.  Canon Tech support no help and unsympathetic.  As a photographer I have spent well over $15K over the years and not happy at all the way they are handling this.  Time to go by and Epson replaement.

back_to_HP
Apprentice

Add one more dead MX892 to the tally.

I was in the middle of printing a page and suddenly it powered off. It will not turn on again.

A quick google search revealed that many others experienced the same problem. Canon should ackknowledge that this issue is a common problem and repair or replace these units free of charge.

I will definitely not be purchasing a Canon product again.

Now what to do with all these extra canon ink catridges...

I'm also in the same boat as everyone else. I just went to try and use my printer and it was dead. I've contacted support but I don't know what to expect. There's no reason for this printer to just up and die. It was barely used, once a month at best, and even then that was probably to scan a document. If they blow me off then I certainly would never buy another Canon product again. I bought this printer because I thought of Canon as a good company with quality products. 

I've been a long time Canon camera user (since the film days) and I'd like to think everything with its label are of equal top quality. Unfortunately my MX892 suffered the same faith as all the users above. In fact my first MX892 was DOA with same issue which the seller promptly replaced, only to have the replacement die after warranty expires.

Sorry Canon, you lost another customer.

Amazing, these things seem to drop dead after about the same amount of operation time. Mine joined this category today. Never knew printers can just drop dead like that. What really pisses me off is that I just dropped 70 bucks or so on the ink. Printers are money machines. I would like to know which printer is easy on the wallet as far as ink is concerned.
Announcements