cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA mx922 prints blurry.

afip4n6doc
Apprentice

Our PIXMA mx922 prints blurry.  I have already cleaned the encoding strip.  

When I print a black and white text document. some lines on a printed document are sharp and crisp, while others are faint and blurry.  These crisp and blurry lines alternate all the way down the page. 

When I print a mixed color and black text document (such as a screen capture of this current page), the color sections are sharp but the black ink sections are blurry as mentioned previously.

The blurry text almost looks like a double image of the letters.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

44 REPLIES 44

I agree Canon's compacency should not be rewarded. I have taken my Canon MX925 to the rubbish dump and bought a nice Epson XP-7100; so far so good!

Gofo5566
Apprentice
Thanks for the photo paper suggestion to "fix" this issue. However, now all my pages print in blue or purple depending on my settings (I think photo paper vs high resolution paper). Any fix to this? Grayscale doesn't seem to fix it.

I've had a MX922 for several years, few problems. Suddenly I see the alternating clear and blurry lines of text.

It looks to me as if the blurry effect is two identical printings offset by a millimeter and superimposed.

I think the print head moves, say, left to right and prints about 3/4" of text, then moves right to left and prints the next 3/4" of text  If so, perhaps there is something loose or a stuttering motion of the print head in one direction, not the other. Thus 3/4" of clear text followed by 3/4" of blurred text.

I tried spraying silicone lubricant in the print-head opening -- no improvement.

As Gofo5566 and others report, when I tried photo paper settings, I get messy blue results.

Any new solution?

I have had the same problem and after cleaning the printhead, multiple times, I have the following theory.  I use aftermarket ink cartridges and have had NO problems until recently.  I think Canon, during their "updates" fed my 2 machines something that detects aftermarket cartridges and is causing this problem.  Given the ridiculous cost of canon ink cartridges, and the massive profit, it would not surprise me.  As a professional photographer sine 1982 and a loyal Canon user of their cameras and lenses, this is their thank you . . . will be looking at alternative printers . . . Canon greed is disgusting!!

ixtasis
Apprentice

Thanks to this forum, this workaround works with the MX922.

In the printer settings, I set it to high quality on glossy (photo).  When I print from my device, I select 8x10 on photo paper (2 separate settings), and it works. This is with after market ink. 

Announcements