cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA iP8720 no ink on nozzle test

mice
Apprentice

I have been given an IP8720 printer that has been in storage for at least 2 years.  I have little history on it but it appears to be in pretty good condition EXCEPT it has partially used ink cartriges that have been sitting in threre for at least that long.  I got it wirelessly connect and got the drivers working (Win 11).  I delicately ran a nozzle check and test page with little surprise:  it spit out a page with nothing printed. I stopped at this point before I ruin anything that can be salvaged... any advice on rehabilitating this printer or is it a bunch of spare parts?
I have read and watched on soaking a print head in isopropyl alcohol or acetone or a mix, as well as pumping a windex/alcohol mix into the print head nozzles with a syringe and a tube.  While that may be a reasonable thing, I thought I would ask before "just doing something I found on the internet".  I'd hate to think this is just going into the dump. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Head is clogged. If you tried  three deep cleanings without success you need a new print head.

Nothing to lose by trying one of the techniques you saw.

If that doesn't work compare cost of replacement head vs new printer (which will also come with a complete set of ink) so factor that it as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

UPDATE:
I had all but given up on the multiple soakings on the original print head.  Got a 3rd party print head but was getting horizontal banding (across the portrait or feed direction) on either the top or bottom or the print head.
Decided on a more aggressive soak on the original and that where I learned the hard way how to soak.  I rotated the print head 90 degrees where the gold plate connectors were face up and filled the container where the head AND ink ports on the opposite side were covered completely.  I soaked it a couple of times unitl it was running pretty clear and the original print head is no worse than the el cheapo replacement.  But the banding remains the same.  But hopefully this helps others:  soak ALL but the exposed connectors. And let the alcohol/acetone dry out completely.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Head is clogged. If you tried  three deep cleanings without success you need a new print head.

Nothing to lose by trying one of the techniques you saw.

If that doesn't work compare cost of replacement head vs new printer (which will also come with a complete set of ink) so factor that it as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

mice
Apprentice

John,  Thanks for the info.  Into the abyss we go!

UPDATE:
I had all but given up on the multiple soakings on the original print head.  Got a 3rd party print head but was getting horizontal banding (across the portrait or feed direction) on either the top or bottom or the print head.
Decided on a more aggressive soak on the original and that where I learned the hard way how to soak.  I rotated the print head 90 degrees where the gold plate connectors were face up and filled the container where the head AND ink ports on the opposite side were covered completely.  I soaked it a couple of times unitl it was running pretty clear and the original print head is no worse than the el cheapo replacement.  But the banding remains the same.  But hopefully this helps others:  soak ALL but the exposed connectors. And let the alcohol/acetone dry out completely.

FINAL UPDATE:  Now that we have color flowing.. the banding issue has been mostly resolved.
First was doing a whole new print head alignment session with the recovered original print head. Then I  used the Canon Image Garden (really?), and the photo printed correctly.  Lightroom Classic 12.4 still bands and this is really the only unresolved part.  Will not post more folllow ups but just a closing note not to give up on a printer unless it's really dead.
“Never give up, never surrender” Commander Quincy Taggart

Announcements