cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TS6420a "Cannot Communicate with Scanner" Error

SquallyZ06
Apprentice

I can never scan photos or documents to my computer from this printer. I run the IJ printer utility and tell it to scan it comes back with a "cannot communicate with the scanner" error. I've reinstalled the driver package, ensured I am connected and it has a signal for my wifi, and ensured my scanner is selected yet I still get this error.

I've attached a photo of the error box I'm receiving

Scanner_Error.png

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I see you are running Windows OS.  What version and build?

What version of the drivers did you install?

Do you have any 3rd party anti-virus or firewall software installed?

If Windows Security is the only security software you are using, please temporarily disable the windows firewall for the network profile (Domain, Private or Public) and retest.  The Active profile wil show (active) so you know which one you are using.

shadowsports_0-1670511236627.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm running Windows 11 version 22H2, build 22621.819

The driver version is Canon Inkjet Printer Driver 3.80

Any 3rd party security software?

And did you test after temporarily disabling the firewall?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Just Windows Defender.

I tried disabling the firewall just now and it didn't work at first, then scanned and sent one thing to my computer, then stopped working again.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Try setting a policy based exception allowing the software through the FW.

Open Windows Security
Click on Firewall & network protection.
Click the “Allow an app through firewall” option

Next page click Change Settings and agree

Now find the app, "IJ Scan Utility" or name of Scanning Utility in the list, add check mark for the network profile (Private / Public) you are using. 

Then ok. Restart the machine and try scanning again.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm still getting the same error even after adding it to the exemption list for my firewall.

the6pack
Apprentice

Was this issue ever resolved?  I'm getting the same error message.  When I first set up the printer I was able to scan, now (only the 2nd time trying to use the scanner) it comes up with the same error message you attached above.  I issue the command from my Windows 11 PC and the printer does the scan, it finishes and comes up with the error.  Funny how it can communicate with the printer to initiate the scan, but when it finishes the scan it will not send the scan to my PC.  Hoping someone on the forum can help since I've been on hold with customer support for 48 minutes and counting.

Announcements