cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR8520 Black and White vs. Color for black text?

Alan-Editor
Contributor

We have a TR8520 inkjet. Almost everything we print is black text or b&w line drawings. Our color cartridges tend to register as low, so we replace them. What is the difference between setting the printer for Black and White and for Color for black text? Is one more economical? What is the difference between black and PG black? We use standard, non-glossy paper and standard setting (Draft is not available). Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello. I have a TR8620; I'm not sure if this will work for your printer. Note that it only works for certain papers.:

The PG black cartridge is pigment ink. 

See if you have this option in your printer:

Screenshot 2022-07-28 111446.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm not 100%, but I believe if printing black via the color cartridges, you'd be using the same amount of ink vs a black cartridge.  I believe it takes equal amounts of cyan (C), magenta (M), and yellow (Y) to make black.  So am guessing that for each particular area of the paper, you'd either be using 3 parts black, or 1 part each of C, M, Y.  Also, I don't think it will be the blakest of blacks.  CMYK black tends to be a very dark gray.   So you may possibly get better B&W output if using the black cartridge.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements